Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
28th Oct - Six Bells, Fulbourn - Possible First Ride

So I've now been riding to work and back for the past 3 months or so and looking to get out for some proper riding.
I live in Fulbourn so was thinking about riding into town and then go round the corner home after the pub.
What would the route most likely be to Fulbourn?
What best to wear this time of year for riding? Shortstrousers etc??

Re: 28th Oct - Six Bells, Fulbourn - Possible First Ride

Hi Alan

Likely route(s) to Fulbourn involve anything in the quadrant from up the river towards the fens, the heath tracks between Wilbraham and Bottisham and the Roman Road - depends on who turns up on the night with a route in their head and what the weather's like.

Going by last night, it's more likely to be waterproofs and longs than shorts!

Paul

Billy no m8s ride last night

clearly winter has arrived and attendances are falling! Both myself and newbie Maxime had a slightly damp and decidedly chilly blast around the countryside to Quy! I suspect it is time to put the shorts away for the year and get the thermals out.

Re: Billy no m8s ride last night

Good on you for going out Paul. I was changed and going out to the shed and it was sheeting down, so I bailed before a pedal was turned. I need to get into the winter mind-set asap!
(Not out Thurs though. The inlaws are here and I'm cooking)!

Wow Paul, Am I thinking that most of us are turning into fair weather riders? though I must say it was a tad nippy cycling to work at 5:30 this morning. Coming down from cottenham to landbeach my face felt like a breeze block the wind cut me in too.

I'm sure the buffalos and overshoes will be coming out soon ! Not riding thursday as there is a fund raising 'frock swap' organised in foxton.....thought I should mention it as i know how many of you guys are partial to a dress.....there will also be shoes, hats, gloves etc etc !!

Not much consolation Paul, but I got drenched cycling to my evening class in Cambridge at 6:30pm last night and my front light packed up half way there! Rather glad I put my waterproof trousers and seal-skin socks on

Richard

Get me a pair of those pink slingbacks you know I like.

Ciao

PT

Re: 28th Oct - Six Bells, Fulbourn - Possible First Ride

Hello,
Ade and I have recently moved to Fulbourn, if you fancy an easy ride, maybe Ade would go out for a ride with you he is v unfit at the moment, or a really easy ride, even me (vvvvv unfit, I haven't been on a bike in 10 weeks now, boo). I might be in the pub tonight, may even cycle all the way from my house (Hinton Road, by the Bakers Arms).
Do you cycle past our house every day down to the old drift? If so you might see Ade sometimes. He usually has a cheeky blonde toddler on the back of his bike and rides a Ridgeback commuter bike.