Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyres for Cambridgeshire mud

I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find the post.

Could you recommend me a tyre for that special type of Cambridgeshire Clay that we find here in our lovely county?

What are you riding?

Thanks
Ads

Re: Tyres for Cambridgeshire mud

Matter of opinion mate, I run bonty Mud x on my 29er and I dont think to much to them. However I have Maxxis medusa 26 x 2.0 and I love them. Regards Shelton.

I've just invested in Maxxis Medusas too - OK so far but BB failure is preventing a proper test at the moment... Tony

Tony it sounds like an expensive month for you. Take it easy with those students and try to take a wide berth.

Furious Fred.....nothing to stick to

i use Rocket Ron's unless it is realy bad then put a Medusa 2.1 on the front and if it is realy realy bad i put a Medusa 1.8 on the back aswell.

What? Is Pat deviating from the stock answer of Panaracer Mud Pro's??

Ads - both Pat and I have used the above before and they are pretty darned good - I rode 1.8's and he rode 2.1's. They carve through the mud and you can feel confident in the clay plus they shed very well. Hit the road and they drag, though. Ditto for Panaracer's highly rated Trailrakers, I hear.

I currently have a 2 year old set of Schwalbe Mud Shark Lights to put on this winter. They cost me £30 the pair in Ben Hayward's sale and they have really impressed - good off AND on road. They haven't worn as quickly as the Panaracers either.

Medusa's also get a good write-up.

PT

Mud x
or for serious traction Trailrakers

Thanks for all the info guys.

One question, why would you want such a narrow tyre at 1.8? Surely you will just cut deeper into the mud? am I missing something?

Ads

Last year I ran Continental Cross Country 1.5" but can't get those this year so I'm trying Geax Barro Extreme Mud 1.7".

Narrow tyres sink down to solid ground, provide much less resistance to push through mud, but most importantly allow loads of frame clearance.

I found that a wide tyre would collect mud until it scrapped off onto the chain stays, then it would collect on the chain, then the rear derailleur. Even with regular cleaning, a few weeks of this daily and the drive train would wear out...

I run Specialized Storm Control 2.0 (2Bliss) most of the year round as a front, and in winter as a back tyre - they work pretty well in the mud, and shed mud ok too. Roll reasonably well, and I picked them up at a pretty good price at Ben Haywards (less than 30 pounds)
Medusa's work pretty well too, but I prefer the feel with the Storm Control ...
Snailraker (ok, Trailraker) has more grip than either of the above in goopy mud, but are tons slower - I use this in the middle of winter, and the grip is awesome. My 2c worth ...

Yes - I agree with Big Cam - don't get too fat a mud tyre. It will still shed but it will also scrape on your frame. 2.1 is about the max.

PT

(Hey, Big Cam - was that you I saw tonight at about 5:20 on Hatton's Road with a plethora of lights on your bike? We were on our way back from Thetford and had 3 muddy bikes on top)

Yeah that was me, making full use of the tail wind...
Thanks for the space btw, not everyone on that road gives me such a wide berth