Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New guy!

Hi all,

Been lurking on this forum for a month or so every so often posting.

Basically I got into MTB about 3 months back, and since then managed to wear out my BSO and have just ordered myself an Anthem X3 which should be here monday if all goes to plan

So, I'd like to come out with you all for a ride some time, maybe even next week weather permitting, but, as with most new people, I have no lights!

Does anyone have a spare set that i could borrow for one ride, just to see how i get on with it before forking out for some?

Hope to see you all soon!

Ian

Re: New guy!

Hi Ian, You may get lucky that someone in the group may lend you a light, though you may want to check out dealextreme.com they do a budget light, cree p7 3 mode light for $80.60 which is a tad over £50 so not big bucks and if you find night rides are not for you im sure you could sell the light on easily. Hope to see you soon out with us and have a blast. Shelton.

Finally, the bike arrived! So looks like I'm ready to ride, apart from someone turned the clocks back it seems and now its too dark.

So I'm going to press order on Deal Extreme for:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623 for the handlebars

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14443 for my head

and chargers, batteries etc....

Are they good enough for the night riding? or should I upgrade to the micky mouse light or something? Whats a good helmet mount?

I'm hoping DX shipping isnt as slow as google searches tell me, what are peoples experiences on here? I cant wait to get out riding now!

Ian

Ian - I ordered a deal Extreme light recently - took about 3 weeks or so I think - certainly wasn't Wiggle fast. Tony

Hi Ian,
I can't say I have used either of these particular lights from DX. The one that most people get is sku-25149. I have one of these and one of these too sku-36018. I think that they are great for the money.
If you want to see either I will be at Brookside tomorrow for the ride. You could swing by and say hi and take a look.
Later.
Ads

Ian, you could try Bestofferbuy thats where I got my P7 3 mode from.

Aussie Adam
Hi Ian,
I can't say I have used either of these particular lights from DX. The one that most people get is sku-25149. I have one of these and one of these too sku-36018. I think that they are great for the money.
If you want to see either I will be at Brookside tomorrow for the ride. You could swing by and say hi and take a look.
Later.
Ads

Actually, what an idea! I'm going to have to go into Cambridge to get my new bikes wheels trued ( ) so I might hang about a bit and say hi to you all, note what you all use and go order some for myself. I was planning on making tomorrow my first ride, but as yet, I havent ordered my lights so its unlikely.

Still, will drop by and say hi, look for a 6 foot slightly large guy in a corsa with an Anthem X3 in the boot, thats me

Save yourself a few buck Ian I think Rick can sort your wheels out is'nt that rite Pete?

Thanks for the offer Shelton, but Tredz have offered to reimburse any costs to get it ridable. Also have to re-true the front disc as that wasn't right either. Its near perfect, but after forking out £1400 i want it 100% perfect, naturally.

All they asked was for me to send a copy of the reciepts, cant ask for more than that. They do give good service there, shame the bloke forgot to check the bike over 100%

Thanks
Ian

Great to meet a lot of you this Thursday, and I think the consensus is get the cheaper Deal Extreme light, and another light on your head. should be ordering over the next we days so I hope to start riding within a few weeks, cant wait!

Lights arrived today after a month, really happy with them nice and bright.

Having a few problems with my knees which I need to solve and then I'll be looking forward to my first night ride!

A month!.. Is that from DealExtreme?

yeah, stupid isn't it. Still, its here, and its bright, and its going on the bike as soon as i get back from work!