Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible bargain for a front light.

I stumbled across these on another forums, and they're reported to be well made, and have a decent battery life:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150440340100#ht_3443wt_905

I've gone for 2 to test the water before deciding to front up significantly more money on something else. Even then, I'd imagine they'll make a good secondary/backup set.

All a bit silly for £1.50 + £4.10 delivery per go.. (assuming they turn up :) ).

Dean.

Re: Possible bargain for a front light.

I just plugged the seller's ID into an Ebay Negative feedback search and these are the recent (December) ones for their LED lights:

didnt recive item but got full refund as soon as i asked for it

a total piece of shit, but that's what I expected

Item does not operate as described ans is unusable for intended purpose.

There was no light in the flashlight

cant say any thing good i got a DOA i had to send back $30 out of pocket postage

Scheinwerfer hat höchstens 1W-LED, die Angabe von 5W ist irreführend

die 800 Lumen sind fake! 800 lumen are fake!

Delivery took six weeks which was ridiculous. Probably not sellers fault.

light not 270 lumens

I'm dissapointed about brightness, absolutely no 300 lumen

Non è arrivato niente ma mi ha rimborsato!

1 of 4 lights did not work. Switch was faulty.

THE led has not 3w as anounced

Measures less than 1w perhaps max 80lm & resistive lossy cap switch otherwise OK

The front light did not have an LED in it. Very disapointed with it.

waited 38 days and didnt get item, but refunded

purchase was ok, slow delivery. Average light nothing special.

tuuk over a month to arrive and wasnt as described

it is not working

alle 5 gekauften lampen machen blaues licht und auch nicht hell

NO TIENE 270 LM COMO SE DICE,NO ES VERDAD

Ordered and paid for this item over a month ago, still not received it!!!!!!!!

Conclusions:

- it may well be junk
- but if you complain you'll probably get your money back

Though to be fair to the seller, most of their customers seem happy with what they get. And the lights do seem to attract less vitriol than their RC helicopters.

Let us know how you get on!

Paul

Why bother?
You can buy a full sus 'mountain bike' for under £100, so 10 for under a grand. Is this better value than a 'proper mountain bike' for £1000?
Buy something that suits your purpose, and spend as much as you can reasonably afford/justify, then you shouldn't be disappointed.
Do you really trust the opinions of complete strangers?
No, me neither. Go to a well respected bike shop, talk to your riding mates and stop throwing money away.
Yes, I'm grumpy today...

Oh Mark hunny, how much profit is in a £1000 bike again really looking for value for money... LOL..

I think you mean 'how little profit?'.

If you want something, and someone is prepared to sell it to you at a price you're prepared to pay, then that's all there is to it. Just remember what it is you want, and why you want it. Don't get sucked in by deals that are 'too good to be true'. They usually are.

It's as foolish to pay too little as it is to pay too much.

Remember: the value remains long after the price is forgotten.

Here endeth the lesson...Bless you all.

Are u still offering to hear confessions on friday morning . Can i book ?

See you Thursday Mark, not out tuesday been roped into watching my son in panto as its press night.

Bah, you miserable lot.. :)

Clearly they're not gong to be a suitable alternative to a proper set up, but at ~£6 a pop, I'll take a punt.

Even if the only useful parts are the brackets, then all is not lost..

Best case scenario: I can try some night riding before forking out ~£100+ on a decent light and finding out it's not for me.

Worst case scenario: I get me money back.

..Now, I wonder what the odds of them even turning up are...

Dean, If you brought a set of those chinese lanterns you would easily be able to sell them on anyway and no doubt not loose a penny. Dear God wot do folk expect for fifty notes Hummm? Or £6 infact, do they come with batteries?.

I'm assuming for that price, they'll ship without batteries.

They've dispatched apparently, so I'll have to wait and see.

Blimey Paul,

Did Pat and Shelton help you write this?

PT

Well they turned up yesterday.

For ~£5 each, I'm struggling to find fault really. The construction is simple, but the parts are all metal and screw together solidly. I don't have a proper light to compare them against, but they're *significantly* brighter than my standard commuter Cateye light. I doubt they're quite as bright as stated, but I wouldn't know how to test this. The rear switch is well made, and cycles between full beam, rapid flash and off.

The brackets seem pretty decent as well, and are non-specific to this light, so should hold any torch of similar size.

I've yet to test them outside, but I'm quietly confident that combined with the magicshine set, it would make a good starter combo.

Even if that's not the case, it's a perfect little torch for trekking/camping trips.

The rear lights however are utter shite, but then that's not what I got them for. :)

Dean.