Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mud tyre widths - advice appreciated

Can anyone recommend what tyre size to go for?

I currently have Maxxis Larsen TT, which are quite useless in mud. So I am in the market for their Medusa tyres, but these are offered in 1.8 and 2.1 inch widths. My current tyres are 2.0 width, and look jolly skinny. I think I have plenty of clearance so would go for the 2.1 size front and rear, but would the 2.1 on the front make it over-tyred? If it were a motorcycle it would be 1.8 on the front and 2.1 on the rear. Just dont know how big these tyres appear. Any advice welcome.

Re: Mud tyre widths - advice appreciated

Hi Pete,
i used Medussa's a couple of years back and found them excelent tyres, just a little draggy for me now, and i found they "fealt" like they were searching for the right line to ride on tarmac, as they don't have a centre ridge, other than that they are excelent.predictable cornering and fast.

size wise i used a 2.1 on the front for extra grip and a 1.8 on the rear to push through to the firmer ground, it also means you have that bit more clearance before the back clogs up.

go for the harder compound unless you plan to ride totaly off road as they do tend to wear faster than i would like on the center pair of nobbles.

Pete

I use Maxxis Medusa 1.9s which i will buy again. Previously Bontrager Jones Mud were also good.

I like narrowish as they eliminate clogging issues in our sticky clay mud.

Cheers

tom R

Trunky?

Are you there, Trunky?

Thanks a lot, chaps. Have just ordered the 1.8 width front and rear. Very good point made during the excellent Xmas dinner was that too wider a rear tyre will deposit mud onto the chain.

Will be good to see how these handle in the snow..