Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Epping Forest route needed / come along for a ride

G'day all,

I am heading to Epping Forest this Sunday for a pootle about. Having never ridden there, does anyone have a route that I might be able to follow?

(p.s. I do not have one of those fancy sat nav thingy’s)

If you are free on Sunday please come with. I could fit two more in the car, with the bikes on the back. If you are keen let me know. I want to be there at 9am because I need to be back in Cam around lunch. It only takes about an hour from here so I would be leaving from Coleridge area at about 8am.

Thanks for your help
Ads

Re: Epping Forest route needed / come along for a ride

Hi Adam, I may be going to Epping on friday as I have the day off,I will see if the ova half will let me out on Sunday. Be warned the forest is pretty much water logged at mo.You may want to have a look on epping mtb's group new site, you can browse the forum to see whats wot. www.mbro35.co.uk I could put a post up for you if you like and see if anyone is Riding on the Sunday as the forest is tricky to get around as there are no marked routes. cheers Shelton

Hi Ads

I have a route which I got via MBR which I almost managed to stick to...

It's quite easy to stray from your planned route in my experience. I'll try and email you a copy when I get home.

Tony

Tony Tiger, That could be interesting as the forest is water logged in places and a bed of fallen leaves...

Hi Tony,
Got the route, thanks.
30 miles might be a bit ambitious, especially if it is as muddy as peeps say. Might do the first loop, or something. Starting from Epping station too, so will start about halfway round.

Sheldon, keep me posted about coming.

Thanks guys.
Ads

Hi Ads, Yes thats fine was thinking more starting from bury rd Chingford, might be able to get someone from the epping group to lead a ride, it's up to you. Shelton

Hi Ads

I've got one of them fancy SatNav thingys for sale! It's a very very basic Garmin Etrex but it did me well for years.

Make me an offer and virtually as long as I don't have to pay you it's yours...

Dom

Hey Shelton,
Wherever you say is best mate. I have never been there. Chingford sounds great, esp if someone can lead a ride.
Do you want a lift?
Ads

Dom
If Ad's dosent want the etrex give me a shout.
Cheers
Rob

Hey Ads, yes a lift would be fab. I rode in forest today and its very wet, you may want to bring along a set of clothes to come home in. Ive put a post up on epping site to see if anyone wants to lead its not a major issue as i think we can get around with out getting to lost may go around high beech and down lippets hill a few times! Ha....ha....... Let me know where Iam to meet you/time.. Cheers Shelton

Hey shelton. Give me a call. We'll work it out. Ads 07734432803