Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bartlow or Bust

Who's up for the Bartlow Ride tonight? We've had nicer weather for previous editions but hopefully it'll be OK.

The usual route is 17 miles to Bartlow and about 35 miles (total) back to Addenbrooke's. Previous years I think we've ended up going to the Red Lion at Hinxton for the pub stop in the interests of time and last orders.

Depending on what the weather's like this afternoon and how the fast the going is and what the enthusiasm levels are like (I've been off the bike with a bad back...) then there's a possible bail out from bartlow that will trim 5 miles or so off.

I'd like to start prompt at 7.30 as we're going to be pushing last orders I suspect. Stragglers - we'll be going out via the Brooklands Ave footpath to Addenbrooke's, round the back to Wrots Causeway and up the Roman Road.

Cheers

Paul

Re: Bartlow or Bust

i'm up for a bit of that

I'm game

I must admit, I'm rapidly losing my enthusiasm, looking at the weather outside!

How about rescheduling the epic? This Thurs when the weather's meant to be better?

Paul

Oh go on then, just for you
Please

will see what the weather is doing nearer to 7. If things have improved am planning on riding, although the summer slick option currently on the bike is not looking good...

Re: Bartlow IS Bust - POSTPONED

OK troops, I've conferred with the ex-runslist fairy and we reckon tonight is not the night for a double pub stop epic...

Will reschedule for a later date.

Paul

Hmmm, is anyone still thinking about a ride tonight?
The forecast is improving...

Yup think you have made the right decision not to run his two stop strat epic, the mud "over there" is quite fine & the dips, hills & frukein' great bit puddles on this route would be hard work...... Can we do it Thursday ??
I still fancy a ride, a shorter one.... anyone one else ?

I'm happy to run Bartlow on Thurs if the weather's better and the Fairy Coven agree.

Tonight - will decide after I've ridden home!

paul

JAG !