Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tonights crash

well just incase you were wondering, not bad as it was only 2and a half hours in A + E, thanks Alison for keeping me company.

The Damage; good news bad news, depending on how you look at it.

scaphoid fracture:- nothing to see but i have a splint to wear for a while until the next round of X-Rays next week.

Radial head fracture:- (that is in the arm not the head incase you were wondering) i couldn't see it but the doc said it was there and there was bleeding around the joint which is a dead give away!not only that i can hardly move my arm at all now.

so there you have it, i'm typing left handed and i'm off the bike for a while.

see you soon.

Re: tonights crash

bad luck Pat. Hope it all mends soon. Should slow you down a bit. Tony

Ooof-Tough luck Pat,hope it heals quickly & you're back on the bike soon.

best wishes

Rick

Hey Pat, that's tough, hope it's not too uncomfortable. You did well to carry on riding to the pub with those injuries. I think we were all glad you went off to the hospital last night to get it checked. I didn't see you fall but from your reaction afterwards, it looked painful.

Hope it's a speedy recovery and see you out again soon.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Pat
Sorry to hear about the injuries, sounds painful. Did you land on an outstreched arm by any chance?
Hope the recocery is swift, complication free, and you are out on the bike again soon.
Cheers,
Paul

It was a typically spectacular Pat Crash! Happened in the ruts on the left as you go down Velcro Hill II. He almost recovered it but the rut lurched the bike to the side and Pat went over the bars, rolling over, closely followed by the bike. Luckily, Bowesy and I missed him.

Much pain followed so I declined to take my usual picture for the album (!) and checked out the bike for him.

Pat - it sounds as nasty as it looked but I hope to see you again very shortly. Get well soon!

Regards

TOM

thanks for the kind words everyone.

yes Paul it did envolve a quick dab with my right hand as the palm of that glove is shreded....and at 24Mph acording to the GPS.

ibuprofen and paracetemol are doing their bit to lighten the mood, but the road rash on my leg hurts like a B1tch today, it looks as if someone took a cheese grater to me.

well all i can say is it was my own fault for riding with very warn cleat's, and well done to Bowsey for managing to scrub off enough speed not to run me over as i rolled across in front of him.

so seriously, does this put me in the running for crash of the year?

see you out again soon.

By the way Tony, finally remembered, it's Commencal bikes that crack-not Lapierre-didn't mean to panic you!!

I always find it amazing how oblivious you can be to all the crashing & burning going on a few yards behind you-suddenly realised I was all on my lonesome at the bottom of the hill!
I thought your leg looked a bit scuffed up but it obviously didn't hurt as much as your arm!

Oops - sorry to hear about your crash Pat - sounds like an impressive effort!!! Too bad the velcro doesn't slow you down on the way down the hill ....
Hope it mends soon, and you're back on the bike again soon!!
Sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you before we leave Cambridge (on Tuesday) - maybe see you at Mayhem next year?

cheers,
Rich

Pat, I don't think you have a chance of Crash of the Year - it clearly can't have been that bad. I'd like to bring to the attention of the members of the jury Exhibits A and B - the copious postings on this forum that Pat has already made, allegedly with only one effective hand.

I rest my case...

Dom

Sorry to hear of your tumble mate, hope to see you back on your wheels sooooon.

Get Well ASAP

That's tough.
Best wishes for as rapid a recovery as possible.

Tom R

Well i went back to outpatients yesterday for a check up.

its one of those Good News / Bad News occasions, i will leave it up to you guys to decide which way round

it appears that there is nothing wrong with my wrist except a bad sprain, but there is definately a fracture to my elbow.

so for me its good news that my hand works and i will be able to use the gears and brakes ok.

the bad news is i have a lot of pain in my elbow and fore arm so i probably won't be back on the trails again for a few weeks.

i feel like a bit of a fraud as i only have a splint for my wrist and a sling for my elbow. not a plaster cast in sight.

see you all soon.

Pat - look on the bright side: Cadel Evans bust his elbow last year and this year he's about to win the Tour... :-)

Paul