Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tonights ride. Baldock to Shepreth

Well chaps I have checked the train times and the best ones seem to be 18:55 from Cambridge and passing through Shepreth 19:25 this gets to baldock for 19:25. If this seems a tad early for most of you there is one 29 mins later. Cambridge19:24 and Shepreth 19:35 getting to Baldock for 19:52 which is not too later start me thinks.

What do most of you think? I shall be getting on at Shepreth hopefully with my sat nav (Dunc Dunc).

Re: Tonights ride. Baldock to Shepreth

That was supposed to read first train passes through Shepreth at 19:07

I'll aim to get on at Shepreth - the later train suits me best because of work commitments, travelling times, etc.

In case of disaster, I'll see you at the pub.

PT

I hadn't realised tonight was a train job. What is the consensus on times - earlier or later train? Tony

I can't ride tonight - did something horrible to my left knee (tendonitis?) out on my road bike on Sunday and today I can't even manage the 3 miles into work. Gutted to miss Jon's epic.

I'll see how it is tomorrow, but I may not be able to lead the Walden or Wankered ride on Thurs...

Paul

Tendonitis is a bugger, Paul. I hope that you get well soon.

PT

Hi Tony,

I'm taking the later train from Shepreth with Bowesy and Jon.

PT

19:24 from Cambridge Station and 19:35 from Shepreth it is.

Could be interesting if we get 10 or more bikes on a train

I'm coming!

Ahem!

What a ride! Well done Dunc for the route Minor detours need not be mentioned... Well done Claire for making the first ride back a hard one nice to see you out.

I would be up for doing similar in daylight one weekend if anyone is up for it. Hertford has some unexpected hills and 24 miles felt like 34 for me. Awesome.

Had a great night so thanks to all on ride and in the pub.

Yes, a great ride having most things to make us grin - decent hills which were climable and high (500-600 feet some of them), fast descents, woodland singletrack, a nice hardpacked tunnel trail that seemed to go for miles and miles...and very few stingers and thorns.

Thanks Uncle Duncle

PT

Cheers Duncan, it was an excellent ride. Not to fresh today though, did 37 miles last night and got to bed at 2.00