Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RUNSLIST CHANGE - Wander to Walden, DATE and START point

Dear All

Sorry for the last minute change but the Walden or W*nkered ride has now been shifted to Aug 11th. It will also start and end from The Rose in Stapleford at 7.30 pm.

Paul

Re: RUNSLIST CHANGE - Wander to Walden, DATE and START point

Anyone else up for this potential epic?

I dont know why but I am getting a lttle concerned that there will be zero drinking time on our return.....

Would the Longbow be a better bet than the Rose?

Pete

Re: RUNSLIST CHANGE - Wander to Walden, DATE and START point

I thought the Rose stayed open late enough for Uncle Tom's epic?

Whatever, the likely route will be 25 miles so, not necessarily that late a return unless we hit problems. If we do, then, we'll be coming back towards town via Duxford & Whittlesford so there are bail out options to get the requisite drinks down our throats!

Fret not people - your ride leader has it all in hand...

Paul

Late drinking at the Rose

The Rose did indeed stay open long enough for us to have a beer, however it would not have done so if Tom's good wife had not spent the whole evening sitting there!

Moreover, as Pete, Rick and I left the barmaid closed the door behind us and had left in her car before we could get on our bikes.

I don't think we should assume it will be open when we get there, especially if we are running late.

Looking forward to a spin this evening.

Re: Late drinking at the Rose

As i'm going to drive to the pub, I'll pack the bottle of Martini and Creme de Menthe that was left over from Bowes drinks party the other night - can some one bring tonic?

Re: civilised drinking at red lion

just logging in to report a successful delivery of bosey to whittlesford, despite a slight altercation with a bridge. Thanks very much Paul for an interesting route, and pub. Hope the puncture repair got you home. Pete

I got home fine Pete, thanks, but Paul had an altercation with the Sawston Bypass... hopefully he's OK today other than road rash...

Paul

Cheers Paul for a quality ride - glad the Red Lion made up for the disappointment of not stopping at the nice looking pubs in Little Walden and Iclketon. Hope Mr.Lyons isn't too bruised this morning!

Richard

PS. Beer festival at the Black Bull, Balsham this weekend (same owners as Red Lion, Hinxton) in case anyone's that way inclined

Little Walden or W*nkered? Little Walden and W*nkered! Who said exercise is good for you? I'm knackered today. No more football.

Good ride though. No doubt the various late night spills were induced by the bad weather and nothing to do with that last round that seemed a good idea at the time.

thank you Pete good night thank you Paul my that cider packs a punch firstly while in the car park i went to put my foot on the wall and it had moved a foot to the left and i was lucky not to nobble myself just a slight tweak in the thigh mind you at my age i need everything working at its maximum yes then the bridge at the ford in hinxton aah travelling quite nicely when it became apparent that the right hand side of my handlebars was through the cast iron railing i was lucky that i managed to remain on the bike,in an attempt to explain this miscalculation i remarked how bloody long these new handlebars are dead pan pete looking at the end that was still through the railing,retorted " especially on that side" Quality

Bowesey - those little dots on your keyboard are punctuation marks. I had to read this 3 times, but that said, enjoyed it none the less.

I leave you lot for a couple of weeks and you end up twatting yourselves on roads and bridges! Come to think of it, you did that before I went on holiday too...

See you this week.

PT

yes pasty, i am saving up for some glasses, spent all my money on bikes shooting and gambling the rest i just wasted