Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ride on the 18th August

Dear Cam MTB,
I'm holidaying in Cambridgeshire with my parents and would like to join you for your ride on the evening of the 18th August. As a born and bred Cambridge boy now living on the North Downs I'm keen to see/ride the trails.

Regards,

Mark

Re: Ride on the 18th August

Hi Mark

You're welcome to turn up of course. Lights and helmet though...

Cheers

Paul

hi Guys, thought i would venture out this week and meet up with you at the pub.

are you still planning a Northern and hence flat ride ending up in Milton, or are you planning a last minute venu change and putting in some of the best routes for our visitor?

any thoughts posted in advance much appreciated as i don't fancy a pint in the pub on my lonesome.

with luck i will be out next Thursday but i will ride local as i've no idea how my arm will hold out and i don't fancy the trip back from Thetford if i break it again!

with luck see you all tomorrow.

Hi,

I'm planning to be out, but if it's raining heavily I'll defer. Forecast is a little ambiguous about this evening.

What's the route? How about out on the RR, down to Fulbourn, out through Wilbraham Fen toward Fen Ditton, over the A14 to Horningsea, Baits Bite, Milton.

Or, in the case of heavy rain, out to the window, say "Feck it!" and back to the sofa.

PT

Alison and I are planning on it, subject to the same wimpish lightweight provisos as PT!

Your route sounds OK to me, Tom...

Hopefully see you later
Dom

OK, the PT wimpometer has gone over the red line! Even if it stops raining the ground will be horrible. Still, at least it's warm for the time of year, eh? Going out tonight? - to echo Tony from a few weeks back: Are you mental?

A glass of red and a good film are beckoning...

Dom

Amen to that. 25 to 40 mm rain is forecast for this evening with this heavy rain continuing until 10 pm.

I don't fancy cycling around in the wet on my own so I'll change out of my cycling gear, put my camelbak in the fridge and find that sofa. In the manner of Captain Oates, I am not going outside and I may be sometime.

PT

G&T-check
Film-check
Comfy sofa-check

See you next week!

Yep, I even lit the fire to go with the bottle of wine and risotto. The only thing that didn't go well with Jane - the film... Hobo with a Shotgun. It can't really be described as family viewing. Gratuitous and sickening was her verdict. Rutger Hauer, you haven't lost your touch!

Paul