Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible newbie

Hi all,

I came across your website and forum doing a bit of a google search and thought I would say "hi" and see if you can help me.

I am just about to move from Germany to take up a new job in St, Ives. Whilst living in Germany for the last 3 years i have re-discovered a joy of cycling and want to continue this when I am back in the UK so looking for a sociable, like minded group to enjoy some trails etc.

My concern is that making your evening starts in Cambridge could be tough with work etc from St.Ives but would definitely be up for some weekend runs.

I am more of a casual cyclist looking for excercise, cameraderie and fun as opposed to qualifying for a national race plus am getting on a bit (49) with a hard tail mountain bike.

So if you think I am a fit and won't be holding you all back then let me know as I would love to get some riding done as it will make a change from looking for a house.

Regards

Phil

Re: Possible newbie

Hi Phil,

Sounds as though you qualify, even, and perhaps especially, on your age.

Difficulties such as distance to travel to the start can be overcome - I usually drive in from Over (just across the Ouse from St Ives) and work in Peterborough. So although traffic jams can screw you up on occasion, with a bit of planning you can make it I'm sure. And if a rider is late we often wait or meet them en-route.

The main thing is to turn up with a set of decent lights. Whether borrowed or bought they pay dividends and there are plenty of posts on the website to get more information on this. Also make sure you pack sufficient water and kit - see the blurb above.

I hope to meet you out on the trail soon!

TOM

If required I can lend lights for an evenings taster !

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies and encouragement.

I will keep an eye on this forum and let you know when I am up for the first meet.

also as a virgin night trailer the option of borrowing a set of lights to see how I like a night ride is most welcome, many thanks.

I look forward to meeting some new faces in a few weeks.

Phil