Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
10/11/2011 George, Babraham

The going is damp under wheel but not winter tyre worthy yet and forcast dry tonight. Long sleeves and legged attire recomended and winter boots or over shoes.

Oh and plenty of beer money! I do know I owe a few of you a pint however.

Re: 10/11/2011 George, Babraham

I'll be out.

Tony

Not tonight - still getting over a cold, and I for one need to be 100% to keep up. Hope to be out next week. Have a good ride. Pete

I'll be out too, on my new, heavier winter bike.

Pete - I also have the end of a cold and it's making my joints a bit sore (especially my right knee!) so may declare slow-coach status early. So please turn up and keep me company.

PT

So Tom, the thought behind that... is extra down force for more traction? It certainly won't speed you up. Or maybe for resistance training to get you fitter?

Whatever the method of your madness hope you like it.

Dear Rocket Scientist,

It's simpler than that - why do you always complicate things with your scientific ways?

I was after a hardtail for winter and found that, rather than buying a frame and building up, I'd be better off buying a whole new bike and replacing the heavier parts (by robbing off another bike or as I can afford/can justify to Mrs Pasty).

The bike in question is a Sunn Seasons S2, RRP £612, obtained for £330 in CRC sale. A sound DB Aluminium frame and some decent parts - heavier ones can be replaced relatively cheaply, except the chainset and forks!

PT

(PS - just looked at the IP address - sorry Jon, I realised I already told you all this!)

Ah the old don't tell the missus you bought some shiny bike bits routine. Well versed in that old chestnut. So you riding tonight or pullin an excuse from the bag of Pastey pull out, put off and parden me for being unwell book of excuses?

ooh that was cutting. will the Tom of Pastey Pegsville come back with a witty retort

Hoping to join you at the pub later so please will someone text me if there's a late change of plan?

Thanks,

Richard

Will do Rich. Asuming your number still ends in 571?

Hi All

Having recovered from my first outing, I now have a decent light, and if I get my punctures fixed in time, I'll see you again tonight.

Steve

Water off a duck's back, mate. Anyway, I didn't write the book of excuses, it's just that I'm a regular contributor! (Or at least I was in the good old days...)

If someone wants to pin the honour of lame excusee on me, I am happy to wear it but would point out that I wasn't responsible for "you lot need to get fitter, I'm only rising with athletes..."

I am out tonight, but I have a bit of a sore leg and the end of a cold so I have arranged to form a breakaway cabale, should the need arise, with Pete T who is similarly snotty.

Long live the afflicted!!

PT

Was that a Froidian slip....... I'm only rising with athletes..."

That's me, ta.

Richard

I hope so!!!

I'm so full of snot and cold I can hardly breathe.
It does not seem fair to pass it on to any one not fortunate enough to have had it yet.
See you next week.

Good ride chaps thanks for a giggle though it seemed we were riding through treacle. Pete and eco Dunc you boys just aren't right. Lay off the steroids!

Good ride and good night until I got home and got bit on the face by the neighbours Alsatian