Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wobbling tonight?

Morning all

Looking out of the window at the moment puts me in no mood to go out tonight, but my forecast assures me that it will not be raining from 3 o'clock onwards. With some dubiousness, nonetheless, I wonder if
a) anyone is thinking of going out tonight?
b) if answer to a) is yes, do you not have a partner?
c) if answer to b) is yes, do you fancy riding at a slow to medium pace with an out-of-shape partner who's struggling up the hills at the moment?

Just for clarity:
- if the answer to a) was no, you need take no further action
- if the answer to a) was yes, but he answer to b) was no, you need take no further action
- if the answer to b) was yes, but he answer to c) was no, you need take no further action

I'll get me coat...

Dom

Morning all

Looking out of the window at the moment puts me in no mood to go out tonight, but my forecast assures me that it will not be raining from 3 o'clock onwards. With some dubiousness, nonetheless, I wonder if
a) anyone is thinking of going out tonight?
b) if answer to a) is yes, do you not have a partner?
c) if answer to b) is yes, do you fancy riding at a slow to medium pace with an out-of-shape partner who's struggling up the hills at the moment?

Just for clarity:
- if the answer to a) was no, you need take no further action
- if the answer to a) was yes, but he answer to b) was no, you need take no further action
- if the answer to b) was yes, but he answer to c) was no, you need take no further action

I'll get me coat...

Dom

Re: Wobbling tonight?

Tony, I've used copy and paste in my new post, but I'm not really sure it's achieved anything.

Dom

perhaps I meant copy and pastey

how do I answer if I have a already have a partner who is out of shape and struggles up hills but who isn't Dom? (I didn't mean you Pete, this is purely a hypothetical question).

Good point. All readers, please add the following to my original post.

d) if answer to c) is yes, would you like that person to be Dom?
e) if answer to d) is yes, would you like to let Dom know by way of this forum or by email, phone call, text or visitation that this is the case?
f) if answer to e) is yes, then please do so.

Just for clarity:
- if the answer to c) was yes, but he answer to d) was no, you need take no further action
- if the answer to d) was yes, but he answer to e) was no, you need take no further action (and you probably need a class in assertiveness)

Now, where is that coat?

Dom

Dom,

Seeing as I'm just back from a few short rides in the Welsh hills, ie. I'm still knackered, I'll take you up on your partnership offer. Assuming that would be acceptable to you?

Richard

Excellent. You're on! See you at Brookside...

Dom

@Tony

Actually, I've thought about this a bit more and realised that my additional post was unnecessary. If you already have a partner, regardless of whether or not he is out of shape and struggles up hills (again, Pete, clearly hypothetical only - I'm surprised Tony even felt the need to mention it), then your answer to b) was no, and the second clarification makes it abundantly clear that in this circumstance you need take no further action.

May I therefore withdraw my third post in this thread?

Dom

P.S. I think I may have found my coat.

I would like a partner who also matches the description given by Dom. If none is available can I join Dom and Richard for making a three?

My specification - I have imported the points into my phone. I even know where lots of them are. Very organised. I like the look of one in particular, by the M11, near Barton. If we just visit that one, it will do for me.

Paul,

I'm sure this never happened when I was running these events....

Or maybe I'm just deluding myself, which is a crime in some countries, I understand.

What is Dom's coat doing here?

PT

Does anyone want the waypoints in GPX or KML format so they can load into their phones? (or is that banned Paul?)

Or GPS obviously (sad iphone fan forgets these things exist)

@Claire @Richard (Aren't I trendy! I don't know what I mean though)

Sounds fine to me - if there are no doubling options a three sounds good. More drafting possibilities!

I have the points in my GPS, but I have not looked at them, and even if I did I don't think I'd like the look of any of them much. I do however have a pen.

Dom

sharing is within the rules, passing on false waypoint data to people too lazy to enter it themselves may even earn bonus points!!

Remind me Dom what a GPS is? Is it something one uses to navigate around carparks...

LMAO

I will be coming out tonight. But by car - doesn't appear to be against the rules either. Unless cheating is against the rules I suppose.

You wouldn't let it lie...

Here you go
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1427520

You need to get a log in to download it.

Or here for google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204156460498544677538.0004b731eef1b80c672a4&msa=0

Very tempted to add some fake ones, but frankly some of them take the piss enough as they stand

Ahem, Melbourn?? Six Mile Bottom? Somewhere up near Cottenham? I don't think so!

Tony,

Thanks for the pre-loaded excuse for not keeping up, much appreciated.

I've plotted the waypints (there's a slip...) on my 154 map. One of them is off it - I think its the Red House - and a few are in fields not near where they are supposed to be...Still, with all the Fog that's forecast I dont suppose it matters. if I get time I'll pack my digi camera - lots more conveneinent than these so called smart phone cameras.

See you at the start, Pete