Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overshoes

I'm looking to buy some overshoes. Anybody have any suggestions on what pair I should get?

Thanks,
Canadian Rick

Re: Overshoes

The endurance MT500 overshoes sem to be popular.
There are a couple of riders using them with summer shoes even in this weather, and suffer no problems.

They have a large sole section under the toes which helps them stay in place while trudging through the mud. Not many other brands seem to work as well.

Hi Rick

I use the MT500s with summer shoes, they keep my feet toasty. This is the second winter that I have used the same pair - don't think they'll make it through a third winter but for under 25 quid they're a bargain. You might want to get a size larger than you anticipate as they can be a squeeze to fit on - check the sizing q&as onsites like Wiggle or Evans.
Tony

I would concur with the above. I've used Endura's MT500 overshoes on top of my regular shoes for several years and they work extremely well.

As Tony says, if your feet are close to the boundary between sizes go for the larger option as they tend to come up a little on the small side.

Yes and me, I get about two winters to a pair..... miles warmer, drier & lighter than my Shimano winter boots.

Just to offer an alternative, I use these Endura overshoes. They're designed for the road, and they're expensive, and they'll only last one (or perhaps one and a half) winters, but they are very warm indeed...

There's no zip or velcro anywhere - you put your feet in through the ankles. They really are that stretchy, and it means you get a very snug fit.

Dom

Another vote for Endura MT500's
Sizing as above

For the sake of balance (generally I'm a fan of Endura kit), I had a pair of the MT500s a few years ago and had repeated problems with the zips jamming. Eventually, both zips came off at the bottom and I got my money back. I'm pretty sure someone else in the group had similar problems.

I replaced them with a pair of very similar BBBs but I can't remember which ones. They've lasted much better, although I've since upgraded to winter boots instead.

Richard

I use the BBB Weatherflex overshoes for when it's wet but like Richard I have Lake winter racing Wellies for when it is really bad.
There is a thicker neoprene version of what I use and I have no idea how good they are but my overshoes are now 5 years old and on their last legs, I don't like to use them too much when it is muddy as they tend to flick off of your toes in the dark and then you suddenly find you have wet and muddy summer shoes and covers.

I'm yet another fan of Endura MT500's. I've had my pair for at least 4 winters, although the holes in the sole had to be adapted early on (they self adapted if you know what I mean) to accommodate the studs on my summer shoes.

I agree with all of the comments on sizing too.

I have only suffered cold feet with them on two occasions and those were the last two that I rode, including last night. I put that down to perhaps needing thicker socks or the thickness of the material on my Altura Winter Cruisers - if you get cold legs, then your feet have very little chance of staying warm. Another thing to factor in!

PT