Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joining you guys for Tuesday 10th

Hi guys,

I am 26, a cinema worker and a mental cycling freak. Id love to come along with you guys for tomorrows ride. I have read your FAQ and will come along prepared. my bike is more than capable of whatever roads and tracks you want to traverse!

ive lived in cambridge since december and figured i should get myself familiar with one of the cycling groups. this seems to be perfect for me. as i work shifts with varying days off, i should be able to make one ride a week.

:)

thanks all, and please feel free to ask anything you like about me, my bike or my insatiable hunger for adventure.

peter

OH, SMALL EDIT THOUGH! I have a smart light, its pretty bright but quite a focussed beam. would you guys be able to lend me a brighter light? it serves me more than adequately on the roads (even the country roads where its pitch black) but i wouldnt want to take any risks on the offroad sections with my light.

i did have a lovely bright light last year that cost me £80 but it got nicked!!!!! proper annoyed about that one.

Re: Joining you guys for Tuesday 10th

Hi Peter

There'll almost always be someone who can help you out with a light. I've got one kicking around that's often spare. Just make sure to post here a couple of days before the ride you intend coming on so that someone can turn up with the goods, and in time to pass it over and fix it on you or your bike!

See you on a ride soon
Dom

P.S. By the way, we have recently introduced a rule that only unicycles are to be used from April 1. Will your bike still be OK?

Something tells me your yanking my crank/pulling my leg about the unicycle thing. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your input and friendliness.

Thanks for hanging back when I got stuck tonight. Been ages since I did that much riding, I need my legs back! Thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Will put up the sneaky pics I took on here tomorrow sometime. See ya next week, weather permitting.