Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thursday: Train out, Bike Back

Hi All,

Been thinking about Thursday's ride. Does anyone have ideas or preferences that aren't a copy of last year's Elsenham ride in?

Seems like Stapleford or Whittlesford would do for the pub stop. Please post your route ideas here.

Tom

Re: Thursday: Train out, Bike Back

I'm quite happy to repeat last year's ride, given that I can barely remember last week. Don't know the route though. Or the train times for that matter.
Is this post helpful in any way, shape or form?
Thought not...

Given the continuing shit weather, I'm happy to say that we'll be in the warm sunshine of Provence, road biking - so don't have any view worthy of your attention!

Having said that, the forecast for down there for Saturday and Sunday is extreme thunder and lighting storms. Hey ho...

Dom

Link to train times from Shelford. Looks like the fare has doubled since last year!

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/SED/ESM/tomorrow/1800/dep

Anyone else planning to go from Shelford?

What time?

Gents,
I am up for the train out & ride back tomorrow evening. Just read all the posts and am none the wiser as to where we start from or where we are going!!?? - Ooo I love the mystery of it all :)

Erm..... given my lack of route leading skills, i'm going to pass on the route offering, i like Nige am none the wiser as to start time or location.
i seem to remember mention of it being an earlier start at the train station but when depends on where we go.
will it be Elsenham?

I'm up for an evening excursion. Last year I embarked at Whittlesford, and alighted at Elsenham. I too cant remember the route except the Lt Walden bit, but thought we were a tad late getting back to the pub (but then, I always do think that )

Wasnt there a ride last year that was in the Baldock direction?

Shame the Betchley line no longer exists

I will probably aim for the 18:56 from Shelford. I think that I got that last year and met everyone else (who had taken the earlier train) one stop closer at Newport.

In terms of fares, if four people buy together, it's cheaper!

So in summary, if you know the way from Elsenham to Newport, get the 18:26 from Shelford (or catch it at Cambridge @18:21) and get off at Elsenham. If you don't know the way / are a bit late / can't be arsed really, get the 18:56 from Shelford (leaves Cambridge at 18:51).

Tom

Tom,

I will aim for the 18:56 from Shelford. Might have to drive there if timing doesnt work out.

Does anyone know what coinage we are likely to need (for the ticket machine)??

Pete

£5.90 Single from Shelford to Newport.
It's looking likely that the 1856h is the best option.
If I'm back from Norwich in time, that's what I'll aim for.

So, just to be 100% clear, we are going to Newport for the start? And that is Newport,Essex.

I can't guarantee I will make it but I will post on the forum again for the smart phone users if I can't ride tonight.

£7.20 to Elsenham

Pat,

Those leaving Shelford at 18:26 (or Cambridge a little earlier) will get the train to Elsenham and ride to meet the rest of us at Newport (Essex) station.

Those leaving Shelford at 18:56 will be riding from Newport (Essex) and meeting the earlier group there.

I know that Duncan and Perce will be riding from Elsenham. If 4 people go on the train together then the ticket is cheaper.

Regards

Tom

I will get the 18.56 from Shelford with Pete :)