Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I made it home, but not before midnight!

Guys,
Just to say thanks for a fun ride last night.

Just in case you're wondering, I did make it back to Melbourn, although I rolled in at 00:30. Would have got away with it if I hadn't knocked a glass of water over my wife as I was getting into bed!

Did a bit of off road on the way back - up and over Cracknow Hill at about midnight was quite fun.

Not sure how far I cycled in total, as phone died on the way home and my route wasn't saved (doh!), but it was about 20 miles from Over so I'm guessing about 50 miles in total.

See you next week for a slightly shorter ride,

Mike

Re: I made it home, but not before midnight!

Ditto ... Not sure if a long ride with a couple of pints thrown in is the best way to get over jet lag, but it was great to ride with you lot again last night, and thanks for the loan of your spare bike Tony!
Twas impressed with the misguided busway on the way home - the new bike path looks great (when it isn't under water
)

Hopefully it won't be too long before I get another chance to ride with you guys again.

cheers,
Rich

I meant 40 miles, not 50! Did we manage about 20 miles from Cambridge to Over, or is that my imagination?

Mike

Hi Mike,

It's about 10 miles from Over to Cambridge, but did you ride in from Melbourn to begin with?

My iPhone showed 34 miles start to finish including the failed attempt at Webs Hole Sluice bridge. Much respect for your Cracknow Hill effort too.

Hi Rich - it was great to see you again last night. It brings back lots of good memories of the pre-Houston years. Is Houston going to change it's name now that Whitney is dead?

Hi Ali - rumour is that you hit a bus on the way back. can you confirm or deny?

PT