Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Partners' Ride

Hi All,

Given the MUD, I've received a well-timed appeal to delay the "Bring your partner" part of tomorrow night's ride for a month.

I think that's well worth heeding. You are, of course, very welcome to bring said partner along tomorrow, but they may find it an unappealing prospect. In a month's time, of course, it'll be dry again with standpipes and hosepipe bans back on the agenda.

PT

Re: Partners' Ride

Sounds good, Ade had conveniently arranged to go to the pub anyway. I will make sure he comes to the next one - he is scared of mud as well.

Re: Partners' Ride -- come this evening?

Pale Rider
Hi All,
Given the MUD, I've received a well-timed appeal to delay the "Bring your partner" part of tomorrow night's ride for a month.
PT

Dear all,

I would like to come and join you for the first time this evening, if at all possible ;-).

I have all the things requested, pump, tools, helmet, etc. excepting that I am not 100% sure on the overall brightness of my front lights. I know I have used them offroad at night before.
Last night I came down back routes from huntington to St Ives then back down the busway to Cambridge. As such, I would expect I can manage the distance, it just may be harder if its' a lot offroad, but thats' ok, I've done
many such offroads before.

I'll try to meet at 19:20. If any nice person has a spare brighter front light to borrow, this could be of use.

Let me know what you think, with thanks,

--Simon Iremonger
Wolfson College, Cambridge.

Hello Simon, I didn't respond to your other post as I don't know much about making lights!

At the risk of outraging the Cammtb light police if you are going to come out without super bright lights then now is clearly the time to do it as it doesn't get dark until 9:30, and you would hopefully be in the pub by 10 (unless Duncan is leading in which case you may not have time for the pub )

One of the problems with not having bright lights (I know as my very expensive lights are on their way out...) is that it is hard to ride when surrounded by other people with super bright lights.

Hopefully someone may be able to lend you a light, but I would have thought you would be ok giving it a try with your set up if you are happy that the last half hour before the pub might be a bit dingy!

If you are going to Stapleford then there is an easy nice route back along the genome path which will be fine (the others may want to go through nine wells but hopefully you would know the way if you want to give this a miss)

Claire
I don't know much about making lights!

Don't worry I'll ask the Caving people at their barbecue this afternoon =).
I note, also, biking-wise, I think it would be useful to have a head-mounted-torch (to point at signs, look round a corner, etc. -- I don't know what the road-traffic-rules // potential dangers of this are, however).

Claire
if you are going to come out without super bright lights then now is clearly the time to do it as it doesn't get dark

Okies, I'll try to come ;-).

Claire
it is hard to ride when surrounded by other people with super bright lights.

I suspected as such, myself... oh well..

Claire
If you are going to Stapleford then there is an easy nice route back along the genome path

Yes, I've been down to whittlesford various times, etc. also found my way back from Foxton and other places, I have no problem with this, etc.

The only other question I have is about clothing/layering.
I tend to take bib shorts, base layer, water/wind resilient arm and leg warmers, then sometimes shorts for easy pockets (if i'm not wearing the packets-jersey).

Do I really want a full covering layer like cheap sports trousers as well? i.e. do you tend to muddy/destroy ones nice leg/arm kit without them? I tend to find the arm/leg warmers are really more than sufficient in this weather, and I've not had a falling-off-on-bridleways problem.

See you soon, hopefully ;-)

I have fallen off and put holes in things but not very often, I wear normal cycling gear and don't worry about it - it will get muddy but that washes out

This time of year I would probably wear 3/4 lengths (as I don't like showing my knees haha) and a t-shirt with a long sleeved top in my bag. Arm warmers and leg warmers would work too if you don't mind being teased for being a roadie!

I think the law says you have to have a bike mounted front light that meets such and such requirements for brightness, but I don't think there is anything saying you can't have a head light in addition - and you are right it is useful.

I've been riding in shorts and jersey and bringing a light sweater or jacket for the ride home.

As for lights I would just mount a light on the bars for now. I think head lights are better for off-road riding but should be turned off on the road to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

With it staying light so long I suspect whatever you have will be fine for now.

Simon, well done on venturing out on Tuesday. We are all looking forward to seeing you again next term. I'm sure if you come out again you will be a strong candidate for a prize nomination at the Christmas party.

Yes indeed, well done Simon. The first few rides are the hardest then it just gets more fun!!
See you next term.