Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Talcum Powder in Hubs?

Hello, you most learned of cycling folk...

I was in one of Cambridge's many LBSs yesterday looking at new hubs - because my Deores have worn cups - and the chap suggested I run talcum powder (dry) in my bearings for a while to polish the cups back to smooth. He claimed this was a tip from the road biking fraternity.

Have any of you heard of this, or is he winding me up?

Cheers,
(Potentially Gullible) Cam

Re: Talcum Powder in Hubs?

Yuup, that is true even baby powder would clean the hub surface but I would of thought they are totally shot and really rough, but how long have you got? Sounds like a no brainer when those cheap shimano hubs are only £15ea. I'm sure the annoying Duncan could sell you some bling Chris Kings.

i'm guessing that the Talc acts as a mild grinding paste,but also as a lubricant so the cup faces will polish up nicely, if you use enough Talc and it does not run "dry" and mess up the faces further, or worse yet seize.

thing is, in my experience, as Shelton says, the cones will have craters in them the size of the moon, so unless you have new cones it is better to ditch the hubs and get new ones.

if a wheel rebuild is out of your techicnal ability/ price range, you may be able to get a new axle with cones and use your existing hub if there is no pitting.

if there is pitting to the cups, ditch it. it's not worth the effort. spend the money on a new wheel or a rebuild. probably not what you wanted to hear but in todays throw away society it is often cheaper to buy new than to fix an old trusty wheel, you also don't have the nagging doubt about the spoke tension and is the rim near to the end of its life.

thats my 2 cents worth. any one else? Mark, Duncan?

Since you so flatteringly asked my opinion...

...I've never heard of this before (talc), but it sounds feasible. It also sounds like the guy at the LBS is interested in helping you, rather than just making money from you. This is why I think there's so much value in having a good relationship with your LBS. Support them, and they will happily share their knowledge and expertise.

My 2p (I have no cents)

I agree with Mark - he has no sense. I also agree that it sounds like the LBS is trying to help.

My only experience here is with an old pair of LX hubs which had quite bad wear in the cones but mild pitting in the races. I replaced cones and bearings and stuffed it full of grease. They kept coming undone so I invested in some decent cone spanners and Bob's your auntie's live-in-lover.

Never had any problems with them afterwards - bit of repair can help.

PT