Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LIGHTS

Hi again ! Lights,best place is ebay,I bought a 1200 lumin rechargeable front light for £17.95 direct from china,takes 10 days to arrive,comes with handle bar fixings or headset £2.95 p&p. they do a 1600 lumin for £29.95 but I find the 1200 plenty good enough! I can send you the link if you would like ? Jules

Re: LIGHTS

ARe they the ones that explode?

Like here

Yep. The ones you want to charge buried in a bucket of sand! Not to mention none of the cheap chinese lights actually get anywhere near the stated lumen output.

I like the rationale: £2000 for a mtb?=No probs! £200 for a good, reliable light=highway robbery!

Jules, do you get commission?!

Wes, don't be rude to someone who hasn't even come out yet! That would be good going to put someone off before they even ride with us.

In all seriousness is it worth updating the FAQ? These chinese lights are good apart from the exploding issue apparently . It isn't NECESSARY to spend 150 quid on lights really any more is it? Tony also had a light that I borrowed that wasn't super expensive and was fine.

Also maybe update the links to 2012 reviews?

And Jules, hope to see you out soon! From what I hear you are right those lights are good, but maybe don't expect them to last forever.

Also 2K on a pedal cycle? Are you joking? You could buy a car for that!

If we're not allowed to be rude about people who have yet to come out riding with us, does this mean I have to stop calling Nick Clegg a tw@t?!

As for the lights, etc, issue...

Buy the best you can reasonably afford for the purpose you intend... (same as everything really).

There's a danger in paying too little for something, as there is for paying too much...

Hopefully see you out soon.

Moving on...

Horses for courses. I was very impressed with a Magic shine 900 lumen light I bought three years ago, lasted 3hrs on max, I think the thing you get for spending silly money on lights is long term reliability & product support.
The magic shine did fail within a year but you could buy 7 sets for the price of my current set.....but.... then my current set are better designed and have a superb spread of light and have not even threatened to have issues in two years of night riding, but then I should hope not too, can go out for 4 hrs plus & not have to even consider any lighting issues.
Buy what ever is within your budget & get out there....eeeeeee that night riding thing is right super, smashing, great