Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NEW BOY!

Hi all.
I was thinking of perhaps joining you guys tonight if thats alright and if your still riding. couple of questions perhaps someone could help with.
Im driving from Godmanchester, can i park alright and leave my car at the pub? Do you do a circular route back to or close to my car, as although i visit cambridge quite alot i dont know if i could make it back from the outer villages in the dark on my own aswell as the fact that my Lumicycles lights only have about a 1 1/2hr burn time these days then it the back up lights which is then a quality tourch and cable ties.

Many thanks and looking forward to any help you can give.

Steve

Re: NEW BOY!

Steve,

You're very welcome to join us, of course, parking at the pub should be fine (it's known as 'doing a Dom', round these parts). You may have a problem with the running time of your lights though. All rides start in the middle of Cambridge, leaving at 7:30pm, as per details at the top of this page. With a fair wind (or hopefully none tonight) we'll be at the pub by 9:30pm, but it's often later than that. So, allowing time to ride into Cambridge first, then a 2-hour ride out to the pub, you could be struggling.

Plan B, post here again and someone else might have a spare light with a longer running time that they could lend you.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Steve,

I usually park (if I can) near to Brookside then cycle back from the pub and will be doing the same tonight.

You could use the quality torch for the road bit from Whittlesford to Cambridge whether it's before or after the pub.

If you're using the older, Halogen Lumicycle lights then I used to work it such that I used my 20W light only when I really had to and mostly used the 12W. Plus I switched them all off when I stopped. You could take your charger and ask nicely at the pub, else I have a 'get you home LED' that i always carry.

I now use the Lumicycle LED's and they are far more energy efficient. I have a spare battery which might help you so I'll charge it and bring it.

Tom

Thanks Richard n Tom, Are you planning to ride from the cross keys to whittlesford?
Are we talking good old wet, muddy, slippery rooted, loose rocks, dark wooded cross country or is it a smooth tarmac route all the way?
Steve

Gutted, bloody M11, don't think I'm gonna make it, I'll try again next week.

Hi Steve,
If you need to borrow a set of lights, just post & I'm sure one of us will help out.
Rides at the moment are on a "see what it's like on the night/can't be arsed with that type of thing". Adjusted as ness
Not sure about rocks ?!? Could try Scotsdales, Longbow at Stapleford or Detroit ?!?
It's getting colder, so now's the time to get out and have fun, before a thor
...BRRRR
(see what I did there thor, thaw eh eh )
ahem

coat Door !