Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tonight

Now the suns out I can't think of a viable excuse not to come out.
Anyone else for a bimble?

Re: Tonight

Sun? What bl**dy sun???? We're living in the land of the permanent twilight here...

Nonetheless, Alison and I are planning on a gentle jaunt. Nothing too mad...

If anyone wants advice about winter boots, I shall make sure to make myself available in the pub afterwards.

Dom

I might be along. Try and be on time this week (met the group riding away last week!)

Chris

a gentle pootle sounds good, riding the single speed at WS2 on Sunday was a mistake...

Laters!

Paul,
You did bloody well, guess you lost time on the fire road.

Re: Last night

Thanks for the ride! Ended up missing the train so it was a spin back to Waterbeach.

2 Questions;

Was last night 'normal' for timings?

Anywhere in town that might sell me some 26" Beavers?

Hi Rick

Glad you made it home OK even without the train - hope you enjoyed the ride despite the conditions! The Racing Ralph was an awful awesome choice of tyre!

For the time of year and the conditions, last night was probably pretty average. If it's raining cold and miserable, and riders start sobbing quietly, we might hit the pub by 9.30, and at the other end of the scale, on a fine warm long summer night (can anyone remember any of those?) it has been known for us to scrape into the pub just in time for last orders.

Pub distance back to the middle of town varies. The Blue Ball is one of the closest, and the furthest away we do top out at around 9 miles, I think.

See you again soon
Dom

If the pub stop is south of cambridge you could always get the train from Shelford, or Whittlesford...

cheers Shelton,

Given the conditions and the amount of fire road the single speed was not the best option!

Rick

I have a pair of tubeless ready Jones Bontrager Mud X 26x2.0 that have been used twice if you are interested