Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
medical

Hi there guys i want to join but before i can i got to buy new bike and and the gear as my bike not suitable but before i commit to spending out alot will there be any issues with me being epileptic?? mine isn't as bad as many other and i can go through any questions you may want to know..

Many Thanks

Mark Leaney

Re: medical

Hi Mark,

There aren't really any barriers to joining us, other than to make sure that you come properly equipped for the ride including a decent set of lights.

Aside from group members with temporary conditions (colds, sore knees, hurty sides) I've not heard of any riders declaring a condition and preparing the others just in case. But it shouldn't stop you riding - we're a sensible lot.

It's worth understanding that we are a loose affiliation with no membership fees rather than a properly constituted organisation so people ride at their own risk and there is no legal duty of care from the group to it's members. That said, we act like a proper group and if someone gets into difficulties of any kind you can rely upon someone to help out or at least come back to look for you! We usually do a head count at the beginning, at stops and at the end to ensure that people are accounted for.

So please join us! Some, including me, have experience of epilepsy whether personally or with family members.

Best regards

Pasty Tom

Pale rider wrote "Aside from group members with temporary conditions (colds, sore knees, hurty sides) I've not heard of any riders declaring a condition and preparing the others just in case. But it shouldn't stop you riding - we're a sensible lot."

may i bring the jury's attention to Tom's prize at the christmas party last year!

Cough! Cough!

TEMPORARY, Patrick, TEMPORARY!!

Given Bowsey's award CP2011, he probably should be declaring his condition prior to each ride. Oh, wait a minute - he effectively does that behind that bush on Brookside... As far as 'preparing the others', should we wear waterproofs?

Dom