Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thetford - let's do it for once

How about we actually go rather than bailing out? I'm in - who's with me. Can give at least one other a lift

Re: Thetford - let's do it for once

Hi Claire,
Ali & I are in - I will be bringing Ali with me.

We are planning on getting there around 7pm as it is such a lovely day. Feel free to join us

Nige

i have no transport, and way too much to do to get there for 7pm.

going to go to brookside and see if there are any others there in the same boat.

looking at the weather forecast i may opt for a fast ride, with very few stops and an early finish, as i don't want to contaminate the mud protecting my bike at the moment.

Not out tonight, I'm saving myself for the grand opening of the Haymakers tomorrow. After which I may re-arrange some car wing mirrors on Union Lane, you never know...

Don't think there's any way I will get there for 7pm either. Is anyone else going?

Sorry not out tonight, did our first 2013 70+ mile silver ball & mocha run Yesterday so now need to do a bit of work.
Have fun, it's tip top out there at the mo.

Hi Claire,

I'm pretty keen to go and check it out. I live on the south side of town though, in Comberton. If you are closer to the Thetford side, maybe I can ride or drive to your place and carpool from there? If it's better to take my car thank yours, I can take at least a second bike if needed. Normally just needs a wheel off, although they would be stacked on top of one another with towels/tarps in between, in case that bothers you. I wasn't planning on being home in Comberton until about 1830, but could leave pretty much straight away after that. How long a ride were you thinking?

Cheers!

unfortunately childcare duties mean I will not be riding this evening.

Looking at the weather forecast this might not be such a bad thing. It was very pleasant on Tuesday I would like to point out...

Jason, I'm in Fulbourn, so the right side of town for Thetford, don't mind driving if you want to come over to mine?

Or can meet you there?

If we aim to leave about 7, we would be there at about 7:3-7:45, maybe Nige and Ali would do a loop and come and meet us?

I am crap at knowing my way around Thetford, but would plan to ride for 1.5-2 hrs I guess?

Currently at Gatwick but if i can get home in time to pick up the bike and head out to Thetford i will be there....so watch this space

COME ON SIMON!!! Get moving!

Fuel is expensive enough here it definitely motivates to carpool, so I'd be very happy to come across to yours! Feel free to email me if you don't want to disseminate your address on this public forum. The forecast seems to suggest it might be on the shorter side of that time window if we don't like getting drenched...

Have e-mailed you Jason.

My forecast says heavy rain at 10pm, so maybe we will get some riding in before the downpour.

Paging Pat

Hi Pat, I would have normally joined you at Brooky but am time trialing tonight, (Just to prove that last Tuesday's dismal result was no fluke...)

Next week perhaps

Re: Paging Pat

Come on Pat, come to Thetford....come over to mine and I can give you a lift (2 bikes on the roof, one in the boot, will be fine)

Re: Paging Pat

Sorry Claire, i would love to, but i just have so much to do, i'm pushing it to get to brooky for 7.30.

thanks for the offer.

maybe another time.

pat

thanks for the gentle let down Pete.