Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost Garmin - suggestions?

Hi All,

This could be entitled "a bit of a groiner"

Yesterday I foolishly mislaid my Garmin Edge 800 in Essex after a Time Trial. I think it dropped out of my parked car when I moved some stuff, or it was nicked! Anyway, does anyone know if I could get the Garmin Connect system to alert me if the unit is connected by the new keeper? (I have all the units ID numbers etc). Tried their FAQ etc but couldn't see anything relevant.

Any suggestions welcome

Pete

Re: Lost Garmin - suggestions?

Update 4/4/13:-

Have emailed Garmin with above question.

Next steps are a "lost" notice on the wire fence adjacent to where I was parked. Monitoring of e-bay; Essex Loot, cycling forums and Gumtree. Plus or course a phone call to the local Police.

Pete

Re: Lost Garmin - Update

Notice attached to fence has had no result, as have frequent trawls of ebay, loot, gumtree etc. Interestingly, Essex Police were able to enter the details on their lost property database, so that if anyone hands it in, it will find its way back to me. More chance of winning the lottery I guess.

Did eventually get an email response from Garmin. They made a note in my account that the device has been lost (and possibly stolen). This will alert anyone within Garmin who is contacted regarding my device so that appropriate action can be taken. Unfortunately they cannot block the unit or prevent uploads from it. If one had downloaded (purchased from Garmin)data/maps etc on the lost unit, Garmin could transfer that stuff to a new unit, provided one had not registered it with them already.

So that's it. I went out and bought another. At least I now have 2 chargers / USB leads and even more bike mounts.

I wrote the above in case anyone else suffers the same and needs to know what can or cant be done.