Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barrington Cement Works Pit

Hi. all,

One of our ladies at work circulated this E.mail which may be of interest

I am part of a dry slope skiing group who are in discussions at the moment, with Barrington Cement works, regarding putting sports facilities into the redundant cement works, when Cemex pull out.

In order for us to bid for a large amount of funding, we have been advised that it is best to be a multi sports facility.

As we are a quiet (noiseless) Mountain using sport, we are wondering if any of you cyclists out there, could give us advise on Mountain biking.

We would provide the artificial mountain, cycling is a quiet sport (keep the locals happy) but, would the two sports go together?

Rick

Re: Barrington Cement Works Pit

quiet? They have clearly never met Shelton

Sounds like a great plan to me! Though I know nothing about planning mountainb bike routes. I would have thought that there isn't enough extent for an xc route though, maybe something jumpy or downhilly? The trouble with jumpy or downhilly though is that the NIMBYs don't like it, as they think of teenagers causing trouble rather than upstanding old farts like us.

I don't know about giving advice on trail building ourselves, but there is an organisation that builds and maintains trails in Thetford Forest that might be more qualified.

Personally, I'd be tempted to invest some of my hard-earned in this sort of facility. I reckon that there's space enough to put in XC and downhill / jumpy stuff as well as ski slopes if there was money to do the landscaping.

If they can get it going it could be very popular with the Cambridge area folks. That might even work against it due to additional traffic!

Anyway, skiing? Quiet? What about all of those cowbells and shouting?

PT