Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orwellian Nightmare

Hi All,

The lights are charged, but no-one's home.

I'm thinking about a wet and muddy ride this evening; would anyone care to join me? I may alter plans if there really is too much weather, but I'm still thinking of riding somewhere.

Given that we are now quoting Tony's pub recommendations, he told me that he reckons that the landlord of the Chequers is a "miserable sod". This may encourage us elsewhere, but I've never been to this pub so I'm willing to give it a go. So to Orwell or not to Orwell, that is the question.

Yours, pseudo-Shakespeareanly

PT

Re: Orwellian Nightmare

Not out tonight but enjoy the rain.

Someone mentioned on Tuesday that the Chequers is closed so you might want to check this out before heading there this evening. I believe that Comberton is nice at this time of year should you be looking for an alternative destination...

I've just called the pub - it has new licencees and they will definitely be open tonight.

C'mon - pack your waterproofs and lets do it!

PT

If there is no miserable sod landlord I will have to go to ensure that there is at least one miserable sod on the premises. Possibly a cold wet and miserable sod.

Rain or shine I'll be out for an Orwellian tonight. Have retained mud tyres, as no sure sign of summer yet, in these parts.

I was out last night on the Roman Road and it was bone dry, so I think it might not be a complete mudbath, despite the showers earlier today.

I won't be out, but I'm hopeful about next week. Enjoy!

Not sure about tonight.
Not feeling to good since a small person vomited in my face night before last.
Expect me if you see me.

Pat

Was that at the beer festival Pat?

I may now be delayed as I have to go to the vet (not feeling too chipper) I may be at the start or not...

Tony

Not unless the beer festival has relocated to my son's bedroom