Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Train out , bike back - Thursday

I'll kick off with a proposal.

Elsenham to Shelford, approx 25 miles via Newport and Elmdon hopefully arriving at Shelford for at least one pint.

Single ticket is about £9

I would suggest getting the 18:51 from Cambridge (18:56 Shelford) to arrive at Elsenham for 19:19 or for later starters the 19:21 from Cambridge (19:26 Shelford) arriving at Newport at 19:49. Early leavers can meet later leavers by the motorway bridge at Newport.

Any takers or alternative suggestions?

Looks like being a grand night for a ride.

Re: Train out , bike back - Thursday

Sounds like a fine plan! We'll be out if we can, work commitments allowing...

D&A

A few weeks ago we were talking about riding back from Baldock. It's quite a bit further back to Cambridge so we could start/finish at somewhere like Foxton or Shepreth.

However, I'm happy to go with the consensus - which would folks prefer?

PT

I'll be out. I don't mind which direction we go. Elsenham might take us to more new trails - so long as you know where we're going Tony!

Sounds like a grand plan (either/all of them)- I'll be out

We're not going to run into trouble with the railway man for attempting to take too many bikes on one train, are we ?

Any consensus on destination or timings for tonight?

You should all head back via Carver Barracks and cheer on the MTB race there.
For those interested, its a pretty laid back grassroots thing. Info here:

https://sites.google.com/site/waldenvelocc/home/Announcements/1wvracing-update

I'm heading for the 18:51 to Elsenham from Cambridge, have to get a ticket first so hope to be at the station around 18:30

Anyone care to join me?

Sadly neither Alison nor I will be out tonight - car problems, making the logistics all a bit too much [sad face]...

Have fun! [envious but encouraging face]

Dom

I might do a ride tonight leaving from the usual location at the usual time, if anybody's interested?

(Sorry to potentially form a breakaway faction)

- Matt

Hi Tony and Ali,

Yes, I'll join you. I may not be on the same train - I'll let you know if I'm going to be later.

PT

See you at the station at 1830

I hope to be there at 18:30. I was wondering whether it would be a meet-up at the station or at the pub formerly known as Cross Keys pub, which would've been less than sensible.

I'll let you know by text if I can't make it. Though it's not like you can make the train wait for me anyway.

Where is Canute when you need him? :-)

There's no knuts around here.

Yep, Stuart and I will leave from the usual place at the usual time. What pub are you guys stopping at tonight?

aim for the three horseshoes at shelford

Not sure we'll make it to the pub tonight, as Stuart has to go back to work after the ride, but I'll bear it in mind!

Just to say thanks for the great route last night, Tony. Fantastic trails and views and the beer was excellent.

I remember that sharp climb near Littlebury Green from a ride that I did back in 1994 when I first got into this game. I did it on a borrowed Rudge folding bike and, although that was 19 years ago, I'm sure I'm fitter now as I got off and walked the first time!

PT