Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tuesday

Hi all

I am returning to mtbs afteracouple of years on road bikes and would like to ride out on this Tuesday

I have ridden everything from early mtbs in the 80s through to road bikes to my other thing on two wheels motorbikes including a stint at motocross in my youth.

I have a fairly good standard of fitness having done a couple of triathlons but needed to do something a bit more exciting !

I have recently purchased a Trek cobra, probably not the best bike on tHe market but I'm probably not the best rider LOL

I have road lights at the moment do I need mega power at this time of year ( happy to purchase when it's darker ! )

Thanks

Jim

Re: Tuesday

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum!

Bit tricky regarding lights, probably the last half an hour is in the dark at the moment, so maybe a commuter like would be ok - it’s very dependent upon the last trails to the pub and the cloud cover. Sometimes the ride home involves off road too which would require lights.

Realistically there are only a few weeks of the summer left where this would be the case, so maybe just buy some lights. A few of us use £25 eBay lights such as: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ssc-p7-3-mode-900-lm-led-bike-head-light-lamp-torch/120703879782 so cost shouldn't be a barrier.

If you’re itching to get out riding, but can’t wait for lights to arrive, somebody may be willing to lend you a set for the evening (post on the forum before hand).

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply

As the route advertised is near my neck of the woods in Harston (i get get home on the road prety easily). So should be ok
I totaly understand about the lights, i will go to the bike shop tonight and see whats avalible.

See you tonight

Jim

I'll be out from the usual spot tonight. Anyone got any plans?
To echo Dom on Thu, would love a northern finish. Anything south of Newcastle!

I'm out. Isn't the plan for Newton as per runs list?

There's a runs list?? The one at the top is 2012?

Look up!

Oh yeah, I never noticed that, however, the days are right and it is meant for 2013.

In the words of Nowrich's finest - Ah haaaa.
Newton it is then.