Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grumpy farmer !!

As i live in the village of Harston my route off road usually takes me round through Barrigton wood round and through the route off Orwell road near the sign for Law Storage.

As i always thought that footpaths were allowed to be used by cyclist (this seems to be a big part of Cambridge) i never question the legality of the situation. Apparently its not a bit of a gray area with regards to the problem this causes.

The land owner does not seemed to like MTBs ridding through the route through his farm and i was greeted with several questionable insults.

I was polite and carried on.

If the route in the near future goes through were Law Storage is i would probably give it a miss

Jim

Re: Grumpy farmer !!

I believe the route you are talking about is actually called "grumpy farmer" by the group. As in
"Which way shall we go?"
"Up past grumpy farmer?"

Officially you can cycle on bridleways but not footpaths.

Re: Grumpy farmer !!

He's a miserable sod. He once wouldnt let my brother have his dog back after it had strayed into his yard. Also for some reason about 5 years ago he took it upon himself to kick my Ellsworth in a threatening but childish manor.
I suggest you ride past as late as possible..... with a very loud bell!
Or just ignore him he's a tw*t