Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THE BIG ADVENTURE

It's not big, it's MONUMENTAL

Thursday's ride, for those of you unfamiliar with the concept will be an orienteering style event for teams of two (or more).

I will provide a list of checkpoints and grid references and a fairly low resolution map, all you have to do is visit as many as you can and make it to the destination pub by 10.00 with photographic evidence that you have been there. Some of the waypoints may be familiar to you, others less so.

However, it is not just about speed and navigation skills, though they help. Points are awarded for each checkpoint visited, with some worth more than others. Points are also awarded for photos of assorted things you may see on your travels.

In a break with tradition, the waypoints will not be revealed until the start of the event. This will give people who actually have to work in the daytime the same amount of prep time as, say, someone in a medical laboratory. The destination pub will be the Green Man in Grantchester.

The event is not an organised competition in any way and as the not organiser I can take no responsibility for incidents or accidents - you take part of your own free will. As the not organiser I may choose to provide a gift of 2 bottles of wine to the team that gathers the most impressive collection of points.

It should be a good night, plenty of miles are possible and it's usually fun so start making your teams up - post here if you need a partner.

You will need a camera and I would recommend the pink OS landranger map 154 for Cambridge

Tony

Re: THE BIG ADVENTURE

Hi All,

I would like to participate on Thursday, but will need a teammate. I've just returned from a summer in the US, where I ate too much and rode too little, so I promise to be slow and talk funny. Any takers for such an irresistible offer? I can usually read a map, too.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I'll take you up on that offer - my previous biomedical-lab-working partner is unavailable on Thursday and, besides, I think it could be fun riding with someone who talks funny.

Well, funnier, anyway.

Best regards

Pasty Tom

Hi All,

I need a partner for Thu. I'm slow, have no sense of direction, am hopless at map reading and offer nothing except the ability to help you come in last (or at least very near the bottom)!
My complete lack of skill will be on display this evening if you are in any doubt.
But I will buy you a beer if we make it to the pub before last orders(doubtful)

*Prepares to be inundated with offers*

Neil I will take you up on your offer if you are still after some one to help take you on a wild goose chase. As long as you don't mind some one who is geographically challenged in the Northern hemisphere as everything seems upside down to what I am used too.

Welcome on board Michael

Don't worry, I have Tim Tams and a map of the Catlins in case we're really stuffed
Fox glacier is just north of Orwell pit - right?? *turns map the other way up* "oh"

Are you out tonight?

Great Neil I look forward to it!
I am probably not out tonight unfortunately however so I can't sample your Tim Tams.

Hi Tom,

Thanks! See you (and all the others) on Thursday. I promise not do do any video-inspiring jumps this time...

Michael