Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broke my arm

Hi All
It's been 6 weeks since my last ride when I came second best with my new cleats and a tree stump! As soon as my physio gives me a clean bill of strength I can't wait to join in again
Shelly

Re: Broke my arm

Bugger!

I've been wondering where you'd got to. I was pretty sure we hadn't managed to scare you off!

Heal quick and come out soon...

Dom

Ouch, sorry to hear it. I hope you're on the mend? Did this happen the evening we rode to the pub in Granchester after Harlton woods? I'm pretty sure when we went our separate ways in town all your limbs were still connected to your body and no bones were sticking out through holes in your clothes.

Oh no! We were wondering where you had got to! Hope to see you out again soon.

Bad luck Shelly - occupational hazard.

Speaking from experience, make sure you get good advice about how to exercise your arm once it comes out of the cast. In my case it was a case of off with the cast and away you go. No one mentioned how much it was going to hurt later (or indeed how long it would continue to hurt for) or whether I should be resting it or working it. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Thanks Dom, yeah ill be back as soon as I'm strong!

Hey Matt no I was all in one piece at the end of our ride, but did this the very next day

Thanks for the wishes everyone!

Ouch! i feel your pain. i did something similar a couple of years back, i won an award for it too at the christmas party.
i was lucky and it was only a minor radial head fracture, no cast, and just told to take it easy, no cycling and keep it moving.

of course i listened to the doctors and stayed off the bike for 2 of the 6 weeks i was told, then rode to a Studio cycling class, bunny hopped up a curb and really buggered it up.

moral of the story, follow the doctors instructions, get your arm moving as soon as you can to reduce the mussel wastage, but don't be in too much of a rush to hit the trails, bones mend faster than your confidence.

the guy that treated me in A+E was brilliant, the guy in the outpatients not so, i had to ask about exercises, and what to avoid. don't be shy to ask, it can make all the difference between good advice and none.

see you soon

pat