Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GPS mapping / ViewRanger - help needed

Hello everyone,

hop you're all well!

I'm desperately looking for someone who...

a) knows more that your average person about GPS mapping software for mountainbikers/outdoor enthusiasts

and/or

b) has a working knowledge of the Viewranger app

and, if so,

c) would be willing to give me an hour or so of their time on Wed or Thurs evening

...because i've got a job interview with them on Friday and need all the help i can get!

Cheers,

Emily

Re: GPS mapping / ViewRanger - help needed

Hi Emily if you don't get any other offers Ade does mobile software development and knows about GPS due to having done mobile/sat nav/car integration in his last job. He is also a general know it all :-)

Though I don't think he has the view ranger app.
He might be out weds night but think around on Thursday.

I asked Ade and he is happy to help out on Thursday night if you want to come round.

Hi Emily,
I've been using this app on various phones, tablets for 5 years now. Also this year started using their recently launched route creation facility on their web site . I have the whole of the UK 1 to 50,000 landranger mapping on my current phone. I use it alot for exploring or riding in various areas i visit, even used it in France & Switzerland this year.
The latest version of firmware 4. onwards the UI has been changed quite a bit with more options and ability to run the app in different ways.

I can run you through it if you like, I'm around tonight and tomorrow night.