Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ah! THERE'S the Runslist...

After many months of focus-groups, on-line polling and staring at a blank page, we bring you THE WINTER RUNSLIST!

I've posted up the list that me, Duncan and Paul L. agreed on today. We hope that you like it - it's not written in stone so if you have some good ideas for modifications, please let us know. Emphasis is on pubs closer to the city to keep the journeys home a bit shorter on those cold winter nights.

Which brings me to the Christmas Meal - can we have some volunteers to organise it, please?

PT

Re: Ah! THERE'S the Runslist...

Ah, one of my old favourites - the Three Horse Shoes. Would that be shoes suitable for only three particular horses? Or shoes to be worn by three horses? (All at the same time?) Or is it some shoes that are fairly sparsely populated? (Like a One Horse Town?)

Good work guys!
Dom

Re: Ah! THERE'S the Runslist...

Dom - shut up, you're waffling.

I agree, an excellent runs list.

A Fine list - Help with Christmas meal

Thanks for the runs list. It looks good to me, I never realised that anyone could lose sleep over odd numbers of horse shoes. - Dom I am really quite worried.

I would be happy to help with the Christmas dinner ie book it, but am away a lot in November and December, so am not volunteering to collect money.

Re: A Fine list - Help with Christmas meal

Who said anything about losing sleep?? I sleep like a baby - in Three Little Baby Shoes...

I think yo'll find the pub is named after a three-legged horse. They'll eat anything in Stapleford.

Hello Pasty, There was talk the other evening of going to my friend's Thai pub in Wicken Bonhunt for the Xmas do. It would mean getting the train there and back (unless excessively enthusiastic). I think Eco was particularly keen on the idea.

However, I don't know if everyone would think this was a good idea, it is a bit of a hassle.

If we did want to, then I can organise, but would need to check that they can take enough of us in one side or other of the pub.

Otherwise, do we want to do the Castle again or are there alternative ideas?

Hi Claire,

It's a nice idea and thanks for offering. I wouldn't dismiss it, especially if it got the backing of the group.

I don't know how others feel but for me personally it would be a hassle - my journey would have to be either all by car or cycle 11.5 miles to the station, train, cycle to the pub and then the reverse home again.

I think it would also constrain those that might wish to leave earlier or later than others, as they often do.

For those reasons I'd prefer to keep the Xmas meal in or close to Cambridge.

Regards

TOM

I think Toms right. But we could try some thing different to a pub (did I really say that?)
How about the Phoenix at Histon, The Rice Boat (MY FAVE and great range of micro brewery beers....Flippin gorgeous) or The Sala Thong both in Newnham with an adjacent pub if required?!?

I have started a new thread called Xmas meal so people notice the subject matter.

Also I couldn't cope with looking at all your dancing people more than I have to.