Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barrington Cement Works

Hi. All.

A while ago I mentioned a Lady at work is part of a team team trying to get a Ski Slope built at the old Cement works. If it can be multi-sport then more cash may be available.

"We are at the planning stage and as I may have said, including other sports at the ski centre will give us, possibly, access to more money. We are willing, with Cemex to build the cycle ways for your use, but would be looking for input from you guys, at the moment it is bare terrain that will be moulded into a ski slope of around a 16 degree drop over 200 meters, there is no landscaping yet.

Your ideas and needs(wants) would be all I am looking for at this stage."

If anyone has any ideas for a cycling feature or thinks this may be useful for us then please air your suggestions.

Rick

Re: Barrington Cement Works

No ideas, apart from "yes please!". Maybe they should talk to the guys who build trails in Thetford? http://www.timbermtb.org/website/home. I'd like some weather-proofing please.

Or maybe some slick-rock to be imported from Moab? :-p

Hi Rick,

I'm not sure exactly what you're after, and whether it would be indoor or outdoor etc, but I think that Chicksands Bike Park does a lot with only a little bit of hill, and could serve as a good model. Particularly the "dual slalom" track there, which is accessible for beginners due to the nature of the jumps etc, but also fun for more experienced riders at speed.
http://www.chicksandsbikepark.co.uk/trail_guide/dual_slalom/
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/284872/

I'd certainly fork out a bit to visit, cheaper than driving an hour each way to Chicksands or Woburn Sands!

Cheers

Do you think we should try and get someone who actually knows about building trails/jumps, etc to get involved, seeing as none of us as far as I know are that experienced? So this doesn't just die a death? We could ask Mark T who might be good to contact. Or other Clare, she seems to know loads of people in the bike industry and is a jumpy/4x type person.

I also agree with Jason, something jumpy sounds the best bet, I don't think it would be big enough for a decent XC loop, but I could be wrong.

Also the "yes please" of Riaan is seconded!