Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbie lights question

Hi all
I would like to come for some night rides but need to get some lights. I have seen the c and b seen website that basically sell Far East imports but with some quality control and from the uk. Anyone know anything about these, they are about £50 for a set including helmet mount and look decent. Would be good to come along next Tuesday so any comments before then would be great. See you soon! Mark

Re: Newbie lights question

I think they should do just fine, only thing I would say is bring a normal backup light too as it might not last as long as it's meant to and you don't want to run out of light at this time of year. I think the cheapy imports work well for the money.

Hi Mark,

There's quite a few comments and tips on our sticky thread at the top of the forum. If I were starting afresh, I would probably go for some of the cheaper LED lights from China to get me going.

There are some on Amazon for around £16, including a 1200 lumen (quoted) lamp, helmet mount, bar mount, battery and charger. They take a couple of weeks to arrive, though. An alternative is Magicshine based in Northampton - it's the same technology but decent support and more robust parts and batteries.

If you like riding at night then upgrade to something more decent like a Light and Motion or Lumicycle.

Hope to meet you out on the trails soon.

Cheers

Tom

I have just looked at C and B seen, and they do look identical to the ones you can get off ebay for 18 quid.

If they have them on Amazon now for 16 quid as tom says, you could get them off there as I think you will be able to send them back easily if they don't work. Just not sure it's worth paying 30 quid extra for what is basically the same thing.

Great stuff - thanks everyone! Looks like a set of cheapies for me. Hopefully will see you in the next couple of weeks.
Mark