Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to Cambridge

Hi folks,

I'm coming from Australia to work at Addenbrooke's for a year, I'll be there in 10 days and want to hit the ground riding.

A few questions I guess...

1. Anyone have a race-worthy XC bike and/or 58cm CX bike they are looking to sell? Something along the lines of an Epic or Anthem. Size L/XL.

2. Best Cambridge area shops to hunt for an MTB the day I arrive (I sadly couldn't work out a way to bring mine from home, only brought my roadie).

3. Any decent races in the region coming up? I've seen a few calendars but my English geography is limited to knowing where Cambridge lies in relation to London.

4. Is a SS a silly idea given the bridleways? (I have no idea what a bridleway is, but I'm guessing non-sealed road).

I guess that's a start!

B

Re: New to Cambridge

Hello!

1. No. I'm only 5"2
2. Try Station cycles in Histon or in town (do cannondale, specialized, giant), Ben Haywards (trek, marin(?) Whyte), Giant store, Hills Rd (erm, Giant)
Umm, not sure what others. Or I think Rutland Cycles in Grafham Water is one a bit further away that people use (I think they have a lot of demo bikes, according to site they do Specialized, Yeti, Orange, Trek, Marin, Whyte, Lapierre) . Or Revel Outdoors in Bury St Edmunds I have heard are good.

3. Thetford Winter Series, there will be just one race left of the winter series when you get here. They also do a summer enduro (as in long race, rather than "new" enduro format with dh segments) - 6,hr, 8hr or 10hr I think.
There is this series http://www.mudsweatgears.co.uk/ which I don't know much about, and also Saffron Walden Velo do a summer series of evening races, which are very nearby. You need to travel to do properly fun riding though....try British Cycling website to find others that need a bit more travelling to.

4. No, lots of people ride ss, especially in the winter as it gets so muddy.

Look forward to seeing you.

Hi Bangers

Sorry I'm so late replying - I've been meaning to, if only to be able to say 'Hi Bangers'. Not often you can say that in polite company and get away with it.

Claire's covered most of it. I don't have a bike for sale either - sorry!

A bridleway isn't really a road - and is definitely not sealed! It's typically a track or trail that bikes can use (and horses, come to that). We have footpaths (which cyclists shouldn't use, reserved for walkers), bridleways (OK for bikes and horses, but not anything motorised), and byways (which can be used by cars or motorbikes).

Particularly recently, because of the amount of rain, and generally in winter, bridleways and byways get pretty cut up by horses and sometimes offroaders, and can be really muddy and puddled. Waterproof shorts are a good idea!

See you soon
Dom

Thanks Claire and Dom.

There is a little drizzle here in Brisbane but a balmy 28 degrees as I jump on the plane.

Hopefully can source an offroader to see you lot Tuesday night!

I'm thinking a Raleigh XXIX (cheap steel ss 29er) might be the way to go if I can find one.

Brad