Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thetford winter series round 3

Hello
I'm racing Sunday. Anyone else going ?
I went over today and its not too bad. If it doesn't rain too much it will be fine, if not out comes the rigid single speed.

Re: Thetford winter series round 3

Hi Earl
I'm entered for the 4 hr geriatric category.
Still undecided with regard to gears and tyre choice. Last time I raced SS I got killed on the fire roads so unless all the single track is gloopy mud gears are probably best. How extensive was the mud yesterday?
See you Sunday,
Paul

Hi Paul
There wasn't a great deal of gloopy mud. A few high use areas had some muddy puddles but on the whole it was quite rideable. I went thurs night with Richard and it was very wet in places but seems to have drained away well.
Good luck with the 4 hour.... 2 hours kills me. Did it with gears on the last race but had rigid forks.... not my best idea. Wrists and shoulders ached for a few days

I'm in too, in the 2 hr.

Its gonna be a muddy one. Heavy rain forecast tonight and more from bout mid day tomorrow. Better order new chain and brake pads now I guess lol

It's not looking good is it!?

well that was a wet one, took the single speed and was very happy with the choice until my 3rd lap then wished I had gears as my legs were giving up by that point thanks to the mud.
respect to Paul L. 5 laps in that mud. well done !!!

Well done to everyone who took part. I was running on autopilot by lap 5 and have never been happier to get to the finish line.

I'm very glad I decided against going single speed and that I left my mud tyres on.

I did think of you Paul, after it was getting muddier and slower after every lap :-) Mostly to think HAHAHAHAHAHA