Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FAO Bangers/Braddo/Puncture T

Braddo

Wiggle discounting their latex inner tubes:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-air-comp-latex-road-inner-tube/

Re: FAO Bangers/Braddo/Puncture T

I really like these tubes and four arrived at my house last week. I'm pretty sure the claimed puncture resistance is true, and I like to imagine I can feel the supposed smoother ride. I've had slow leaks but I don't think a thorn has ever caused a sudden deflation like with a butyl tube.

But they are fragile, so be careful not to pinch them when squeezing them into tight road tyres. Also on narrow rims they can snakebite easily so be careful with the pressures and don't do any of the following:

bunny hop speedbumps in Wicken Fen
bunny hop kerbs in Bar Hill
bunny hop rocks in Thetford Forest
ride over sharp rocks in Dalbeattie 7stanes
ride over another set of sharp rocks in Dalbeattie 7stanes
ride over hard roots in Mabie 7stanes
bunny hop logs in Thetford Forest
hit a pothole near Saffron Walden on a road bike with 120 psi

Cross across the world unite!

So reading between the lines, they're great for putting on a hipster bike to lean up against he wall outside a coffee shop?

Dom

Surprised Duncan's not been on here. Re the pinching, it's essential to coat the tube with talc, or Fench chalk. Us 100 percent users of latex inner tubes for 20 years plus, have a bag of talc handy, and immerse the tube in it, shake vigoursly, before fitting. Makes a hell of an improvement to durability. As a footnote, AirB used to supply latex tubes in talc filled bags. But Michelin bought them out and deleted the French chalk, which I find slightly ironic...

Not as ironic as me buying a hairbrush, though.

I'm interested in the talc theory, though. Does it have any other benefits other than helping with pinching? And does it matter if it's cheap, malodourous talc or does it have to be Yves St Laurent?

PT

That's right Dom....road tyres for road bikes

Been using the MTB version since 2001 and nothing touches em for weight, feel, comfort& reliability. They rarely go down from thorns etc & so when you come to change a worn tyre it can resemble a pin cushion.
Remember the Barrington '17 punctures in a quarter of a mile' ride. Yup, mine we're the only tubes not to go down. They are getting harder to find, recently have had to take to repairing some.. which can be a right pain int the aris.
Talc is good, let's face it we all love talc