Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Route Mapping

Do any members use route mapping software like Strava or similar? I'm new to the group and mtb'ing in the UK and would welcome if I could 'follow' people to share routes?

Re: Route Mapping

Hi Dirk,

I don't use Strava, but do use my Garmin and Cyclemeter on the iPhone to map my rides.

Do they help you? I've tried exporting the routes yet.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply - I'll perhaps catch up with you on one of the evening rides.

Dirk

Hi Dirk, I use the viewranger and sportstracker...... Which is nice!

Hi Dirk,

There are a few of us on Strava too. I have all my rides on it, including the one I led you one a couple of weeks ago: http://www.strava.com/activities/119818087

I haven't tried anything else yet, but I joined the Garmin club yesterday so will have to see what I can do with that

Hi Dirk - good to meet you last night.

I use Garmin Connect and upload all my rides to it. If you set up an account (it's free) and connect to me, you'll be able to see all my rides and download them as gpx or tcx files. Once you've set up an account you use the 'Connect with friends' link on your dashboard page, and look for me - my username is cottenhamdom.

Cheers
Dom

Big Bad Dom
you'll be able to see all my rides and download them as gpx or tcx files.

CAMMTB Regulars, I am surprised at you. Does no-one else see the irony in the above quote? If we allow this to carry on, many new riders will become lost and stranded on golf courses and in car parks throughout Cambridgeshire!

As I think I may already have said recently, how very dare you!

Hey, I've been lurking about, wanting to find gpx traces, I have sent a request on Garmin connect to you, Dom, with my usename being Jaybies (just so you know I'm not some strange spambot). Thanks in advance!