Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wales or the peaks trip anyone?

I haven't been up a serious hill for ages, so I wondered if anyone fancied a trip away to somewhere a bit bumpier in the near future? Wales, Peaks, Somewhere Else Entirely, sometime in September?

I'll do some more canvassing on Thursday at the beer festival!

Re: wales or the peaks trip anyone?

Nick
I haven't been up a serious hill for ages, so I wondered if anyone fancied a trip away to somewhere a bit bumpier in the near future? Wales, Peaks, Somewhere Else Entirely, sometime in September?

I'll do some more canvassing on Thursday at the beer festival!

Yes. My new bike just arrived today, and I came on here to post the same question. I won't be on any tues/thurs rides in the foreseeable future though.

Would love to but no free weekends in September.

I'm in the same position as Claire.

Should we dare to do a trip in October?

I stayed in a nice lodge near Llandegla last time I went -- it's slightly closer than Coed-y-Brenin. There are three or four bungalows on site, but I'm not sure how many people can stay there in total.

However, the trails at Coed-y-Brenin seemed more weather-proof. So maybe that would be a safer bet.

I could be interested, but I need to look at what I'm doing the next few weekends.

I'm going to Wales in October with friends from work, but some of them have never been on a mountain bike before, so I'd also quite like to go with a group who know how to ride!

" I'd also quite like to go with a group who know how to ride!" - best go with another group than us lot then!

Well, it does seem that more people are around in October, so how about Coed y Brenin or Afan some time early October?

Mike - what weekend are you going?

I'm going to BikeParkWales (a bit too downhilly for my taste) and Brecon Beacons 10-12 October, so either the weekend before or after would suit me best

Actually I haven't been to Llandegla or Afan, so either would do for me.

Although Llandegla is a bit closer, Afan looks like more fun. How about Afan in the first week of October (Saturday 4th)?

Nick
Actually I haven't been to Llandegla or Afan, so either would do for me.

Although Llandegla is a bit closer, Afan looks like more fun. How about Afan in the first week of October (Saturday 4th)?

Mike - i'd be keen for october too, will be on call the odd weekend though

I would be up for early October (if you all don't think I am too old for it)

I won't have time to get my Stumpjumper back together before then -- I believe the fork/shocks need a service, and I've been putting that off.

I could probably arrange a bike hire / demo bike. That would be easier in Llandegla, though I haven't tried it yet at Afan.

To summarise: I might be able to go early October, but I might not.

We have gone to Afan quite a few times, so people should have references for where to get accommodation etc. On the downside, it won't be anything new for many.

ive just checked up on your forum, my usuall visit. the peaks district trip sounds really good. the question i am asking myself is does it take a super high fitness level. im a bit of a4 paper when it come to my local hills.
ive only been on 4 or 5 of the cam weekly's (second from the left in current forum pic)
ive been to the peaks this year and cycled up very little of it but i was near EDALE and HOPE. i do like down hill and rubbly surfaces so no hold ups down most hills,

if theres a spare place in a car, or i could join in the convoy with my little van.
i quote my mate, 'im in if its a weekend and its not too pricey'

cern: you'd be looking at sustained climbs of up to 300m. If you've only ever biked in Cambridgeshire it might be a shock to the system! You said you've biked down Edale & Hope though, and that's pretty much as gnarly as we'd get.

e.g.
http://monkeyspoon.com/tracks/track-jacobs-ladder

it was pretty funny the stuff we had to walk up,in hope we couldnt walk up them without having a couple of breathers let alone bike it!

i think i'll univite myself from this one, er 300m over a mile might kill me.

(it was the weekend thing, that caught my eye. i find it hard to do the time midweek ready for silly shift times)

Sorry, went a bit quiet on this one.

Are people still up for this? I've had a dodgy knee for the last week or so but it looks like it's on the mend, so hopefully the 1st week of October would be possible.

I'm afraid I'm out for the first week in October, sorry. It's probably not worth delaying the weekend, since the weather will just keep on deteriorating through the month. But if you do anyway, please post so I know to sign up.