Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thursday Night

How many takers for a ride tonight? I start the bidding at 1!

I see Histon is on the list, sounds good to me.

Re: Thursday Night

Yes, on my half assed tubeless tyre (I've only tried one!), I will be out

The forum keeps chucking out my post replies as spam.
Anyway, I may or may not be out tonight, but what I really wanted to say was latex tubes are as good as tubeless (or better) in my opinion.

I didn't get on with latex tubes, I still got punctures, and them half deflating all the time was annoying. Do they stop pinch flats, as I seem to be the queen of pinch flats every time I go somewhere with a few rocks.

Where do you go that has rocks? The Alps?

The Lakes and Afan were both rocky enough to give me several pinch flats. Admittedly this was my fault as I was running a Racing Ralph on the back.

As i'm back from my altitude training in Kenya...i should be out tonight....if i can find some charged lights!

Since it's the Red Lion beer festival and I won't be out, I'll be out later for some beer.

Will it be a short ride and early arrival - subject to Claire's punctures?

Can't think why the forum thinks Mark T is responsible for posting rubbish.

Dammit - the one ride that ends up near my house and I've got a dodgy knee.

I might hobble along for a beer later on though.

Nick

Planning to be out. Hope we get to the Red Lion early

I'm also riding to the Red Lion beer festival (via Brookside)

i'm planning to come out for a ride tonight and i may have a drink or two.

Me too - I think we should aim for 9 pm at the pub if we can. (My attempts at leading last year's ride to arrive at 9 pm failed miserably.)

See you tonight. How will I recognise Mark, though?

PT

I'll be there - following this year's summer expedition to the S of France :-)

Topic for discussion:

I've had my commuting bike 1/2 inched (Cube Hooper Pro). I'm currently hot on a Roadrat to replace it, but i've got Billy's looking at a sub-£1000 Surly Straggler build. (so it comes in under the c2w scheme).

what bike purchasing opportunity am I overlooking ?

I'm going to try and come along work permitting.

I'm hoping to be there too!

Wow! Will this be a record for this year? Alison and I will both be out (for the first time in about three and a half months) so I make it 13 or 14 riding so far, with another couple joining us at the pub. We better check they'll have enough beer!

Dom

What an excellent evenings weather for riding, and drinking ales outside. After extolling the virtues of latex tubes imagine my embarrassment to find a flat rear on emerging from the pub. Yes, a thorn straight through . Got home ok on the spare but inflating it was tiresome without gas........😠

Tallack, I hope you're reading this!

Tubeless Dom

I had plenty of gas after the beer and that pork pie...

As regards tubeless or latex, I'm very happy with my latex, especially at the weekends. I'll have a go at tubeless when I get around to it.

PR

No, I'm not reading this.

Thanks all. The beer festival was a great choice to end the ride with. Look forward to doing it again next year.