Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which model of lights are you using at the moment?

Hi,

My name is Errol and I am new to the group.

Which model of lights are you using at the moment?

What would you recommend?

I am getting kitted up for your night rides, bought a fullsus bike and next on the shopping list is high power lights.

Initially I am looking for something on the cheaper end of the scale and will upgrade later as needed.

Thanks
Errol

Re: Which model of lights are you using at the moment?

Hi Errol.

I use these (Ebay item No 121201193913)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5200LM-CREE-XML-T6-4LED-Rechargeable-Bicycle-Bike-HeadLight-Mountain-Headlamp-/121201193913?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1c382773b9

cheap as chips and very bright, battery life is only about 2-3 hours on full power so I would recommend getting 2. I use one on full all the time and the 2nd when I need extra light / when the 1st battery runs out.

I am out on the ride tonight if you wanted to come along / meet us at the start at 7.30 to have a look.

hi Errol,
i have been using a version of these since 2009 http://www.ayup-lights.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3
they are not the cheapest, or even the brightest.
BUT they are prety much bomb proof, as i crashed have into trees with them and they just bend out of the way :)
i have never had to send one back because of a waranty issue or battery failure. they just work, are light weight, 100% waterproof and VERY robust.

battery's are 3 hour or 6 hour packs on high beam. if you get the light upgrade conversion on them expect the battery life to decrease to 2hours and 4 hours respectivly.
guess these are more along the lines of a second set of lights when you are bitten by the night riding bug so bad you will go you whatever the weather/ time of year.
hope to see you out some time soon.

ps, like Paul, im out tonight too,if you want to check out my lights as a comparison to Paul's.

Thanks for all the help.

I will not make it this week i will try to get out next week.

thanks
Errol