Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hello!

Hi guys! We have just settled in Cambridge, we were living in Spain, I'm Spanish, my partner is from Cambridge and after having a baby we decided to move here to be closer to her family.

And I've brought my 29er with me. I know Cambridgeshire is mostly flat but I'm sure there must be some places where to grab some ramps, I'm from a flattish part of Spain but I could manage to enjoy my MTB... so I would love to join you in a route. I'm mostly available over the weekends, I've read you mostly meet during the week but for me that's going to be tough. So if anybody wants to cycle in the weekend I'm more than happy to join you. Or if you guys have any suggestion about routes I could try on my own I will really appreciate that. I have a pass for Thetford forest parking, so I will be going there every now and then too, but I don't know if there is somewhere else where to go near here.

Saludos!

Re: Hello!

Hi Alberto,
Your 29er will fit in very well around Cambridge! You may even want to set it up single speed. There are a few of us who believe that a singlespeed 29er is the best way to ride around here. If you fancy a weekend ride let me know & hopefully I can help you experience the Cambridge phenomenom..... NO, not the science one but the lack of free wheeling with a nice cafe stop one.
For various reasons I've not done as much biking as I wanted to in the last couple of years, so if you fancy a ride... (IN FACT are we going to start weekend rides now as discussed a few weeks ago??) let me know.

t-w-o-p-l-u-m-b-e-r-s-@-g-m-a-i-l-.-c-o-m

zero7802one833two1

Anyone else?

Re: Hello!

hi alberto

thetford seems the best option for xc/trails, otherwise a long drive elsewhere
there are some good bridleways etc around here and going with the group will help you discover them, plus the weather wil be ok soon
i'll be heading out for some weekend rides, will keep an eye on the boards

chris