Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bonytony's Big Adventure

As mentioned in the pub on Thursday I am putting the waypoints for the Big Adventure up early to allow you to mark them on OS maps etc. Or if you happen to work in medical research to spend your day programming them into your Garmin and selecting the optimum route when you SHOULD BE FINDING A CURE FOR HEART PROBLEMS.

I will announce the destination pub on Thursday and allocate the points available for each waypoint at the start. There will also be bonus points available for photos of stuff and achievements on the night so it is not all down to speed and navigation. There will be some bonus waypoints announced on the night for you to find. No co-ordinates given and, if I can be arsed, there may be some 'jokers' to be found at waypoints for bonus points

Recommend that you make teams of two but that's up to you. You can have more or less if you like.
2 rules - stay legal (that counts as a disclaimer on my part). No use of motorized vehicles. Start at 7.30, be at the pub by 10.00.

Here they are:
DERELICT BARN TL 5412 4496
PILLAR TL 4471 6236
PILL BOX TL 3986 6551
PILL BOX TL 4125 6734
DERELICT BRIDGE TL 4210 6697
PILL BOX TL 4941 6380
BIG PINK PIG TL 4114 5269
TRIG POINT TL 3729 5123
BRIDGE WITH STUMP TL 3470 5124
FOLLY TL 3349 5202
POND AT WOOD EDGE TL 3307 5376
MERIDIAN MARKER TL 3680 5602
METAL BRIDGE TL 3503 5656
OLD MANOR MOAT SIGN TL 5279 5624
WOODEN BRIDGE TL 5253 5837
MONUMENT TL 4610 5413
FENTON'S FOLLY OBELISK TL 4419 5073
THAT BENCH!, (No, really, that one) TL 4058 5829
ENTRANCE TO LADYBUSH CLOSE TL 4120 6064
WOOD ENTRANCE TL 3799 5146
TRACK START by cottage TL 5841 5426
WOODEN STEPS TL 5368 5563
TRACK JUNCTION TL 5165 5569
FORD TL 5080 5228
PILLBOX TL 4470 4668
ISON MEMORIAL TL 5160 6255
GIBBET TL 2972 6052
STATUE TL 6167 6121
LEVEL CROSSING TL 3957 4829
GEORGE'S SEAT TL 4092 5741
NO CYCLING SIGN TL 5477 5420

Re: Bonytony's Big Adventure

Hi Tony et al!
I am hoping to be out on Thurs but have not been out for 22 months so would be looking for a nice slow partner that can get me back into it gently!!

Also I am rubbish with a map but do have a Garmin 200 Edge if that helps :)

Hope to see you out on Thurs neet

The Geordybloke (last seen on a squeaky Trek Aug 2013)

Yep I am up 4 it !!!

I am looking for someone to do all the work while I piss about and moan about having to think on a ride, alternatively a gorgeous lady in tight lycra would also do

Sorry Tony, Can't make it tomorrow, Hope all goes well!

Nige,

If you're not already spoken for (ahem!) then happy to be the map reader half of a pair with you. I promise not to take things too seriously though.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Paul,

I am looking to do the work and drag some dead weight around with me so if you're still free, you've pulled.

I can't promise to dress up for you though.

PT

Great Tom, thanks. OK I will do the dressing up then

I've not looked at the route, nor will have done so by this evening

On this basis, who wants to partner with me :-)

Re: Bonytony's Big Adventure THE RED LION, HISTON

The finish point will be the RED LION at HISTON (not Hinxton, don't get confused).

Kick Off will be 7.30 prompt, if you're late arriving you'll have less time to get around.

in the interests of showing that there will be a bigger turnout than things look at face value.
i'm teamed up with Jon M.
not sure which of us is going to suffer the most

Hi guys - I haven't been out with you since last year, but I'd be up for this is anyone wants to partner with me? I've got GPS on my phone: anyone recommend a good Android app?

Nick

Three words for Norman:

FRACKING MORRIS DANCERS!

I won't be getting lost tonight, but I'll try and join you at the pub.

Running a bit behind at work so not sure if I'm going to make it but no idea what is actually happening- can I just turn up or do I need to have looked at a map? Ta!

Ben, having no idea may well help.

I will provide copies of 1:50,000 OS maps showing the location of the waypoints but they have been shrunk to A4 paper size so real scale is more like 1:125,000. I recommend that you bring a map of some sort, paper or Garmin etc

It is a competitive evening but you only have to look at your fellow competitors to realise that it shouldn't be too hard to win, even without a map. Or a bike. Or a clue.

You will need a camera though.

Tony.....how about E Bikes ?

Sorry Nige, Katie's not well this evening so will have to drop out I'm afraid.

Richard

Sorry too - got half way to town before realising I'd left my lights at home

That'll teach me to sort my bike out *before* I go...

Congratulations to Pasty and Paul on a convincing win, despite point deductions for non-genuine cardiologist photographs. Finding both the most attractive and unattractive person clearly helped.

I hope team number 3 made it home and aren't still looking for 'that bench'. It does exist, Pasty and Paul found it. Eventually.

A big THANK YOU to Tony for organising and researching last night's event. It was brilliant fun, as usual, and the weather helped.

Great competition with Pat, Jon and Norman - not sure what happened to Dave and Nige, though!

Not sure that Paul and I would have gone all the way to Caxton Gibbet if we had appreciated that we would have lost all of our points had we been 9 minutes later than we were.

Paul - I have the various graphs downloaded from my Garmin. I'll try and share them with you on FB.

Cheers

Tom

PS Did we win anything?

PS Did we win anything?

Yes Pasty, you won Bonytony's Big Adventure

WTF is FB and who uses it?

FB is Facebook and you use it.