Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Promoting CAMMTB / Website / Forum

Hi All.

Paul L, Eco, Jules and myself were talking last night about the lack of folk coming out recently and that the CAMMTB website not being " newbe friendly" or even being viewable, so the first impresion is an outdated forum with "lets face it" very few posts / strange ramblings. Maybe time to update / make us look more attractive for potential newbes. I am happy to get involved / partialy fund some development so if anyone else wants to get involved / help fund / have a say, we are meeting up this Thursday at the pub after the ride. If you cant make it feel free to coment below and we will consider all imput.

Re: Promoting CAMMTB / Website / Forum

We have professional level editing tools on the Forum, if someone has the ideas and the know-how to develop it.

PT

The site is difficult to find. Cammtb used to get you straight to it. Now one has to put in pub3 to get to it. OK for us old lags, perhaps off putting for newbies. Cammtb.co.uk brings up a site defunct message.

see you this evening

TomR

Plenty of "professional editing tools" are available for free.

For example, Wordpress:

https://en.wordpress.com

Not only is the underlying software free, you can get a site hosted with the developers without charge. The administration interface is clean, simple and easy to use/learn. If people in the club are interested in freshening up our online presence, which I think is a good idea, that would be the place to start. I'd suggest people have a play with it. If you don't like the results, you can just delete your account.

There are a number of decent forum plugins available for Wordpress:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/5-best-forum-plugins-for-wordpress/

It's trivial to prevent comment spam and users can be forced to register using a validated e-mail address sign-up process, preventing people from spoofing each other in comments, etc.

The "cammtb.co.uk" domain is apparently registered to Clem. It could be directed to a Wordpress site by creating a DNS CNAME record. That would be a simple request to the hosting company, which I could perhaps sort out through Clem if/when the time was right.

- Matt

Domain name:
cammtb.co.uk

Registrant:
Clem Robertson

Registrar:
LCN.com Ltd [Tag = LCN]
URL: http://www.lcn.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 11-Apr-2005
Expiry date: 11-Apr-2025
Last updated: 24-Apr-2015

Hello stranger, how are you?

I think Paul S and Pasty are sorting the site this week.

All good here, thanks. I've not really been riding that much for the past few months. I've been running occasionally and have been hitting the gym pretty hard instead. I also had some maintenance to do on the bikes, which kept me both busy and somewhat annoyed.

If the weather stays reasonable, I should be out with the club in the autumn. I'm being kept quite busy at the moment with foreign travel. I just got back from holiday and Nokia are sending me to America for two weeks at the end of the month.

I don't think I've seen you since you did the Megavalanche? How did it go? Did I hear talk that you've had some injuries, back problems or something?

- Matt