Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cambridge to Coast long distance ride

Hello.

Eco mentioned a cambridge to north norfolk coast ride the other day, and am trying to piece it together for an attempt in the new year. I need some tips/verification.

1. Cambs - Newmarket - some sort of roman road?
2. Newmarket - Thetford - Icknield way?
3. Thetford - ?? - ??

Any advice welcome, including grid references and...tyre recommendations. Aiming at feb/march if anyone else is keen.

Adrian

Re: Cambridge to Coast long distance ride

The Thetford to Coast(Holme Next The Sea) is called the Peddars Way and is a mix of bridleways & road sections. I did it years ago and it was a good day out

Tyres--well, the more exotic the better--a mix of sticky rubber, powdered unicorn horn and angel tears individually moulded into a suitable Gnaaar pattern worked for me but perhaps others can suggest alternatives

Sounds great!
I'll go for it...

I'd be up for this

Have done this three and a half times now with various routes. Good day out, is nice to make into a one and a half day ride and return on train from Kings Lynn.
Have GPX's if it will help.

When are you planning to do it?

Thanks for the GPX files - I was a bit sceptical of all the straight lines initially, but then zoomed in on satellite view, and indeed, there are huge straight sections! If doing there and back in under 24h, IM# might be able to get some shut-eye whilst riding :-)

Originally planned for late March/ early April,

Was originally going to smash it in prep for southdowns double attempt, but now more people are interested could maybe drop the speed and make a nice weekend of it.