Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Away day by car this Thursday

So I guess this is unfasionably early to post for a Thursday ride but as I've been away on holiday I thought I would ask a couple of questions.
1) is it still as advertised?
2) where are we going to?
3) what time start and finish?
4) how are we sorting logistics?
5) who, if anyone, is leading?

Pat.

Re: Away day by car this Thursday

6 X 7

Hi Pat,
I am up for Thurs night ride too.

Pete Fenton created the previous thread, seemingly also for tonight's ride. Did you miss that?

I'm hoping to be out tonight. Are we meeting up at the normal place, or what does "Away day by car" mean?

Surely it will be as advertised on Thursday (today is Tuesday), Away day suggests away all day, so if that's the case I'd be interested in a day off to go riding elsewhere. Anyone else?
North Downs, Chilterns?!?

Yup, I realised today is Tuesday... :-)

Great, any thoughts on the other queries?

Was thinking this is similar to the last drive out & ride back? We drive to somewhere south of Cambs for some more fun/hillier trails?

ok, so now its Thursday and i'm no closer to knowing what is happening tonight.

the billing is to drive somewhere, ride about then drive back.

as i only have 45mins from getting home after work to being on the bike riding to the start i need to know soon if we are doing something different to normal.

in the event nothing concrete is proposed i'm going to the normal start point for 7:30pm, thinking of making something up on the spot depending on weather, enthuasiasm, and number of people, posibly ending up at the green man in Granchester or the queens head in Newton.

Geordynige
Was thinking this is similar to the last drive out & ride back? We drive to somewhere south of Cambs for some more fun/hillier trails?

Err, well not quite Nige. I think its drive back!

I was thinking all we need is a friendly pub with a large (ish) car park close to some interesting, and hilly, trails.

Where did you go last time, Nige?

Yes drive out, ride & drive back :)

We parked at the Red Lion in Hinxston & then headed south into the Saffron Walden Hills. It was a really good ride but I would have a clue where we went.

It was Duncan Cook's ride ?

Cheers
GN