Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update on Mike

As some of you know my lad took a bit of a tumble tonight in Orwell. :(

Firstly a massive thanks to everyone that helped out so much in all kinds of ways. :)

He is down A&E, he has managed to snap the ball joint off in his shoulder, unfortunately the hospital would not let his mum take a picture of the Xray as some asked us to get a picture of it. Apparently this is quite nasty and we are waiting to see if they keep him in overnight and operate tomorrow as its likely they will have to pin it back together, I will keep you posted, he is a brave lad and put a very brave face on things considering how bad the break is.

Re: Update on Mike

Yowsers Steve, that does sound nasty! Thanks for the update and keep us posted. Hope he gets through the rest of the night and tomorrow ok.

Richard

Thanks for the update on Mike.
No wonder he looked so pale he must have been in a lot of pain.
What a way to start half term.
Wish him well from us all an keep trying to get some pics screws and pins stand out really well. Record so far is 17 screws, but that took a head on crash into a moving car on sheet ice to achieve, so Mike should be proud of his effort.

Ouch! Get mended soon and back on the bike Mike.

Wow!! Get well soon, Mike! That sounds very nasty indeed.

If it's any consolation, a) you may beat my broken collarbone + rib and Cliff's broken leg in this year's CAMMTB awards, and b) it will heal stronger. Mine is a few weeks off being fixed, but it is improving.

Best wishes,

Pasty Tom

Gosh, that must have been excruciating - no wonder Mike had trouble holding the cup and saucer. Hope they gave Mike the full house pain killers.

Thanks for posting so soon Steve, we remain hopeful of a good outcome.

Pete

OMG, poor lad. I can not believe how brave he was and how little he complained ! Send him all our best Steve and tell him in my opinion he has won this years award. He has entered the CAMTB hall of fame !

Another bit of an update.

Both Mike and Suzi (his mum) have asked me to say another thank you from them to everyone who was there last night for taking such good care of him and making sure he was ok, so thank you to all.

They have decided today NOT to pin it as he is still rapidly growing and therefore they have placed in in a weighted sling and are hoping it's going to pull the bone back into place and then heal its self. He is now cast up for 4 - 6 weeks and then has another 4 - 6 weeks of rest before he can start using it properly again, building up muscle as time goes by.

Not sure how the pictures will work on here but will give it a try.

And no he doesn't normally have shoulders that big

photo IMAG0332.jpg

photo image-0-02-04-fe56b6d60283f4a6721ee2a818932e81251c5850d9f05d7185668a89ffb8845a-V.jpg

photo image-0-02-04-77d1b7e5cd705f7294272f23df5664bd94ea963e114219cd658fecda5b0b5ba5-V.jpg

photo IMAG0348.jpg

OH, and as for pain killers, he had the following last night:

Oramorph (Liquid Morphine)
Codeine
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
and all topped off with (NO2/O2) gas/air mix

photo IMAG0339_2.jpg

My word, is a nasty one. Very brave, no tears and the best thing (apart from the pain killing cocktail) is he'll fix much quicker than if he were 50.
Hope it all goes well.

Terrible, speed recovery Mike !!!!

Another little update......

He went back to hospital today and the bone has not moved back as they had hoped (you can still see it sticking out!) So tomorrow they are going to take him back in, put him under and try to "manipulate!" the bone back into the correct place. if that doesn't work, they are going to pin it while he is under. Bless him, thats going be sore when he wakes up

Will post another little update tomorrow when we know more.......

OK, last update on Mike for those still reading ;)

He went hospital today, they tried to "manipulate" it back in place but they couldn't, so they got the stanley blade out and stock some rods up near his elbow up to his shoulder and pinned it, ouch! He is feeling pretty crappy right now. He is home, its in a sling and they say he can't go MTB'ing again for 3 months! :( I know he is my lad, but my heart really goes out to him on this one, very painful and very moral busting for him, bless him

The up side is that gives me 3 months to try and get fitter than he is for a change (and then when he comes back it it, it will take about 2 weeks before he is leaving me again )

Sorry, but no pictures of the pinning, they wouldn't let us have pictures of the xray

Hi Steve.

Sorry to hear that, I could not get my head around how they could make those bones join without a pin so I am not surprised.

Give him our best wishes and tell him to keep his chin up.

Will we see him at the Christmas party ?

Paul

Hi Paul

At least now it's pinned its back in the right place and it wont end up healing wrong.

We are fully expecting Mike to turn up to the Xmas do, but in a car rather than on a mountain bike as he isn't allowed to ride an MTB for 3 months, he is gutted!

Has the details of the Xmas party been confirmed yet?

Cheers
Steve